Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How Can I Make Her 16th Birthday Special?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm hoping you all have some ideas for me.  My daughter turns 16 this weekend.  I know a lot of her friends have had big events for their birthdays - shopping trips to NY, expensive dinner with friends at a restaurant, etc.  My daughter knows we can't afford these things.  I was trying to have a big party for her, but we have a small family and most of them are away travelling.  So, it's only going to be a small party.  I'm getting her a nice gift that she wanted, and we will be going to an amusement park the next day as part of her gift.  But I would still like to do something to make the day special for her.  Something personal that will mean something but won't necessarily cost alot.  I was thinking of stringing up some Christmas lights in her room while she slept and blowing up a ton of balloons so she'll wake up to lights and balloons....

Does anyone have any good ideas?  She is a good girl - good student, helps around the house, and (knock on wood) doesn't get into trouble like alot of kids at this age.  I want to show her how much I appreciate her.  Thanks for any help you can  give me! 

girl giving flower

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

How about having flowers delivered to her?   Even if you were to boy a lovely bouquet and have a friend deliver them to save $$, she would still get excited at a special delivery just for her.

I love the idea of filling her room (or any room in the house) with balloons and fairy lights!   You can go a step further and use a lipstick to write Happy Sweet 16!  on the bathroom mirror.   You can leave messages like that throughout the house, for that matter....   use m&m candy to write it on the kitchen table... rocks to write it in the yard...... so she will find little messages throughout the day..

Do you have other children?  They or you can bake treats and present them to her in 16's.    16 cookies, 16 brownies, 16 gumballs.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Some little scrapbook of pictures of her and her friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Welcome!

I also have a daughter about to turn 16 (next week, it's coming up fast!) and I think your ideas are fantastic.  

My daughter will be getting a ring set with her birthstone, a pair of amber earrings and I'm going to take her for a mani/pedi before school starts.  She's also having a few friends over to stay the night next weekend.   

MJP76
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Sweet16s aren't really about the family it's about the friends... Just throw a party at your house and let her invite all of her friends.

my DD just had her sweet 16. We did a party here at the house, the majority of the money went to the cake, catering and DJ. She invited her whole school. Only about 50 kids showed up though..

MJP76
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We also gave DD a say in what she wanted for her birthday. Of you ask your daughter she may help you out with ideas. :)

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Starting in the teen years, we started to have parties where a few friends would sleep over and we'd buy pizza, snacks, and a cake. We'd also rent movies, but they spend most of their time playing video games and just hanging out.

tyfry7496
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My grandpa started a tradition with my mom and when he died, she carried on the tradition. For my 16th birthday, she got me 16 roses. For my son she made him a poster with 16 items dealing with wars through history (he's a huge history buff) including my other grandpas POW papers and other war stuff. She also attached 16, $2 bills to the poster. My aunt taped 16 silver dollars to a huge card.

The tradition is 16 of something special.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:00 AM
I like the lights and balloons idea. Also think of things she likes and give her small presents of them through the day such as 16 of her favorite chocolate or candy, 16 cookies, 16 cupcakes, things like that b
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely love this!

Quoting tyfry7496:

My grandpa started a tradition with my mom and when he died, she carried on the tradition. For my 16th birthday, she got me 16 roses. For my son she made him a poster with 16 items dealing with wars through history (he's a huge history buff) including my other grandpas POW papers and other war stuff. She also attached 16, $2 bills to the poster. My aunt taped 16 silver dollars to a huge card.

The tradition is 16 of something special.
mt0130
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM

If you want to do something on her birthday, why not the two of you go for a mani/pedi and then lunch. Not sure if there is still places called "glamour shots" around you can do that if there is one near you. Or take her shopping and let her pick out an outfit and then go to lunch. Maybe have your immediate family and a few friends meet you for lunch also. I think what you are already doing is enough too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)