Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Starting high school **eta

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 32 Replies

DS is going into 9th grade this year and I am trying to figure out the best way to keep him organized.  He went to a catholic elementary school through 8th grade so this will be the first year of lockers, moving from class to class, etc.  In elementary school I never had to worry about supplies; I paid a stationary fee and the school supplied everything.  So, I asked the high school for some guidance and the response was that he will get a list from each teacher the first week of school.  Great.  My kid has issues and organization is a huge one for him.  I need to be able to have a basic structure from day one or it will be a disaster. 

My main concern is what to do for a homework journal type thing.  I know I need something for him to write down assignements and so forth but am not sure what the best thing would be.  Do your kids use a calendar to write all assignments in the same place or do they separate it by class?  Does anyone know of any apps for a tablet or iPod for tracking homework?  Any suggestions are welcome.

***He did have a homework journal all through elementary school but was not god about using it. I did find a few homework apps for android last night and will be encouraging him to download a few and explore to get a feel for them. The school has a BYOT (bring your own technology) policy so he will be able to carry his tablet and/or his iPod all the time in school. And I know I sound a little overprotective or like a helicopter mom but my son has documented learning disablilites as well as ADD and anxiety disorder and depression. The more direction I can give him from the start, the more likely he is to stay on the right track.
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
An agenda is good. Our school sold them at registration. Mine carried everything for classes for the morning. Then lunch. They carried everything for the afternoon. Not enough time to go to the locker between classes at our hs here. In hs I let mine fail if they forgot. I did not look at the agenda to see if all was done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM

My son has been taught how to keep a paper agenda since 3rd or 4th grade. I couldn't imagine just trying to learn the habbit now. I really don't know besides talking to the school counselor to see if there is any kind of calendar/agenda system that the school is already doing.

My son is in middle school, and his whole school uses a particular note taking system and agenda system. I don't remember the name of it offhand, but I know my son has learned about it more through his AVID class.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

An agenda, our schools give them out for free and start early in elementary. 

Break folders down by subject, and hour. So say first period is math, second is english and then they have a break. Have those two classes together in a seperate folder, he trades them out for the next classes, whatever they are. Then at lunch he does the same.

If you have A day and B day, then seperate by that. 

I've never looked into app's though.

As far as supplies, think of the basic which will be a given: paper, pens, pencils, highlighters, basic dividers, and those individual subject paper notebooks.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Our school provided an agenda. You might want to check with them before you buy one.
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Quoting fammatthews4:

Our school provided an agenda. You might want to check with them before you buy one.

Our school always provides one as well.

manicmotherhood
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's school provides an agenda. If yours doesn't I have seen them at target in the back to school section. 

My ds is disorganized, so he uses a color code system. For example, in Spanish he would have a yellow notebook and a yellow plastic envelope. He'd take notes in the folder and put all handouts and homework in the folder. Then for English, he'd have a blue notebook and blue plastic folder. Sounds dorky, I know. But he hasn't had to sort through a backpack full of papers to find his homework! He's used that system since middle school so it's ingrained in his brain.

also you should see if your school uses an online grade/assignment program. Ours does and while not all teachers use it, most of them do. 

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Our schools provide agendas.Each kid picks out a large calendar...their choice.One uses a large one with squares ,two use the post it calendar.They record their test and papers or at least most of them...in h.s. it is not my responsibility...for mine this helps them plan writing the projects and papers.My 16 y.o. is very organized with his school work and stuff.He feels better very organized so he does it.My 15 y.o. is not as outwardly organized yet he does a good job of keeping up with his stuff.

It has been helpful that all our schools have assignments ,textbooks ,handouts and lesson plans on line and mostly up to date.They check it almost everyday.

For school perhaps start him with a binder with dividers.Our school has required a small 1 1/2 inch binder for each class.For the first day or two they just take one binder with the dividers so that when they set up each class binder they just transfer to that binder.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Our middle school actually handed out student planners during registration. I don't know if the high school will do that. If they don't it's just as well because my son was not good at writing things down in it. I made a point of checking teacher websites nightly.

We get folders for each class. And he uses his laptop extensively for notes and assignments; his IEP specifies the laptop since his handwriting is so poor unless he can really take his time, which of course never happens in note taking or at the end of class!

Kuree
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:40 AM

My daughters school gave out planners, but she preferred to keep stuff simple and keep a list of homework and due dates on the first sheet of paper in her 3 ring notebook. It was so much easier for her to have it in the notebook she always used than to have it in a seperate thing, I guess since she was reminded of whatever her work was every time she opened her binder.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

We get agendas from 4th grade through high school.  I will say that let your kid figure this out, back off some Mom.  I know it is hard to watch them flail around some, but he needs to figure this out, or he will have real issues later.  If he starts falling behind, then step in some, don't take over right away.  It is important life lessons that he is going to learn in orginization.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN