Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Update on I don't approve of my son's girlfriend

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 16 Replies

Wow have things have changed.  It wasn't easy but my husband and I for the most part, stayed out of their relationship.  She would break up with him and they would get back together.  Eventually after the last time she broke up with him, he became interested in another girl.  The ex girlfriend and her mom both became angry that he had moved on.  They both said things about the new girl and my son that were not true, which eventually led to the ex's mom losing her job because she worked at their school.  But now my son has a new girlfriend who is a lovely person and I could not be happier.  She treats him well, she's a sweet person and he finally realizes he doesn't have to have drama in a relationship.  He's so much happier and so am I.  So very grateful that he is with a girl who is more like the kind of person that he is.

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
It's so hard to keep your mouth shut and your fingers crossed, isn't it? Glad you did though, it does work out in the end most of the time ;)
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Great update! It's hard going through it, but at least in the end your son handled the whole experience well.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Wow ,guess it is clear where the former gf gets her pattern of behavior from...her mom lost her job from gossiping at the school about students .Just wow.Glad yall are clear of them.Good job.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Glad he has a nice gf now. Sometimes it takes a tough road to learn a hard lesson if that make sense? My ds's first gf was not very nice to him, used to yell son loudly at him on the phone I could hear it..yikes. For the past 3.5 years (since junior year of HS) he has been datibng the same girl and we LOVE her, she is like part of our family so i get how very important this can be. Happy for your family. :)

mt0130
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Did you say anything when you heard your son's gf yelling at him? We are going through this right now with my son and I haven't said anything yet because we have said things in the past (about  other issues) and have been met by resentment. We are hoping that one day he realizes this is not normal but it breaks my heart that he is putting up with this and thinks it is okay for her to do to him, and he never yells back, usually apologizes for being a lousy bf!

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Glad he has a nice gf now. Sometimes it takes a tough road to learn a hard lesson if that make sense? My ds's first gf was not very nice to him, used to yell son loudly at him on the phone I could hear it..yikes. For the past 3.5 years (since junior year of HS) he has been datibng the same girl and we LOVE her, she is like part of our family so i get how very important this can be. Happy for your family. :)

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Great update.  Glad it worked out in the end even though I know it was hard to just let it play out.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Awesome!! Most kids wise up at some point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Sometimes it is better to kill them with kindness and allow the true colours to come through. It seems if we as parents voice our opinion on the other half too much they just band together even more.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Yes I did, I carefully tried to ask him if this was the way he wanted to be treated? He would get extremely defensive whenever I did though. It was tough. I'm thankful he finally saw the light. I was scared to death honestly this girl would upset his future college plans, Ect. Was truly relieved when they broke up. It's TOUGH to stand by when someone is treating your kid terribly.

Quoting mt0130:

Did you say anything when you heard your son's gf yelling at him? We are going through this right now with my son and I haven't said anything yet because we have said things in the past (about  other issues) and have been met by resentment. We are hoping that one day he realizes this is not normal but it breaks my heart that he is putting up with this and thinks it is okay for her to do to him, and he never yells back, usually apologizes for being a lousy bf!

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Great News!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)