Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What are they thinking LOL

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Ida
  • 25 Replies

With teens before you know it they will be ready to get married.  I have something you might want to think about if you help them plan their wedding;

I am having a party to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary since we eloped we decided to have a reception type party with our friends .  I went today to look at cakes and they said they served 68 people I thought that was good since it was $48 but it seemed to good to be real.  

I kept thinking about it then I asked what size the servings were and she said 1 inch x 1 inch LOL I want to know who cuts a cake that small it isn't even a bite.

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Where did you find these cakes, weight watchers?  I would be leary of a bakery that considered a 1 inch by 1 inch piece a serving!

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I guess you haven't had many catered events.  A standard serving size is 1" X 2", so not much bigger than what you were quoted.  Petit fours are  1" X 1".  It's dessert, not the meal.  Plus, you don't want to pay for waste.  Small desserts, people eat it all.  I always have the cake precut, or make sure the banquet facility will cut & serve for us.  Don't let people serve themselves.

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL it was at walmart

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Where did you find these cakes, weight watchers?  I would be leary of a bakery that considered a 1 inch by 1 inch piece a serving!

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

when we had our wedding we did a reception with just our parents and siblings and gave everyone enough cake to taste but not really a piece big enough to waste and told them they could have more if they wanted.  

1 inch by 1 inch would be smaller than the mints LOL I would be offended if I was served a piece that small.

We renewed our vows at 20 years and again it was family only but there was more than enough cake.

I feel serving a piece that small would be a waste of plates and silverware the 2 x2 would be small but a little more realistic.   

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I guess you haven't had many catered events.  A standard serving size is 1" X 2", so not much bigger than what you were quoted.  Petit fours are  1" X 1".  It's dessert, not the meal.  Plus, you don't want to pay for waste.  Small desserts, people eat it all.  I always have the cake precut, or make sure the banquet facility will cut & serve for us.  Don't let people serve themselves.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM
When we have events catered for work that's exactly how large the slices of cake are cut. People generally don't need or want larger pieces. There is ALWAYS cake leftover. I would go with the smaller pieces and if some want seconds there should be plenty. :)

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sabrtooth1:

What?   I have been to many catered events and lots of weddings.  I have never been served a slice of cake that small..... unless there are several desserts to sample, in which case the sample servings are smaller.

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Quoting boys2men2soon:  I have been to many catered events and lots of weddings.  I have never been served a slice of cake that small..... unless there are several desserts to sample, in which case the sample servings are smaller.

Around here, at the events many I have hosted and attended, after a full meal, a small piece of a rich, indulgent dessert, with a cup of good coffee, is perfect.  But if someone SHOULD feel the need for additional food, they know they can ask for seconds. 

Even if the affair is a luncheon, a small piece of dessert from an excellent bakery is an impressive, and sufficent, end to a meal.  Spend the money to get something special for your guests, and a little will go a long way.  A slab of drywall is still drywall.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

laughing

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

LOL

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, but that is not normal out here. I might consider it if as someone else said there were other deserts to round it out...but dang that wouldn't even wet the whistle of the average person lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN