Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How would you feel?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 17 Replies
Today I was made aware of an advertisement for a water park hotel that has used my sons pictures? It was a mass email, and is on the website; no one ever asked my permission.

This is the second time it has happened to him, the first was on a TV commercial for our bank that when I had asked they said they were not recording. I let that go, my family thought it was great. But this pissed me off.

I know he's cute and all (mom moment) but since when is this okay. I thought about calling my attorney honestly. But my son thinks its awesome.

What do you ladies think
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
We are filmed all day on video every day. I never worry about video or pictures really. Just me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM

If used for advertising I would think they would have to get permission

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM
No permission needed in a public place which is also on private property, someone else's private property. There's nothing illegal about it.

If its an issue the only way to prevent it is to leopard him home.
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I was going to say in a public place this is my understanding as well. I don't think it would bother me for a water park. My DD was on the front cover twice for our local park and rec guide once with swimming lessons and once with the gymnastics class. It was a coincidence and I was fine with it. Was cute and I saved a few copies avd sent one to my parents in CA

Quoting luckysevenwow:

No permission needed in a public place which is also on private property, someone else's private property. There's nothing illegal about it.

If its an issue the only way to prevent it is to leopard him home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Usually places like this will have signage warning visitors that there are cameras and that their image could be used in advertising. Your continued presence in the location is consent. 

Me, I don't worry about it.

JessicaR7
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM
I can understand that you may feel a sense of violation. If it really bothers you can ask them to not use his image. Most will probably be compliant. Every year at school I sign a paper not giving consent for the district to use my kids photos for promotional materials for the district.
HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always had to sign a consent. My dd has been in the newspaper and a few other things, and I signed. With sports it is the same way.

I don't know why, but this really upset me. I feel like paying over $200 a night for a hotel room, my privacy should have been respected. If they need advertisement, they should hire models. This wasn't a school, or a local event.

Regardless, I'm letting it go. No one else in my family finds it a problem, no need to cause drama. He thinks it's awesome, and my mom scrapbooked it :/
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:59 AM

School districtd and sports organizations will do that. It's a mater of course to them because they're dealing with public property. 

There may actually have been something in the fine print of the room agreement you signed. It's pretty common.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

My kids have been in the newspaper a few times but all pictures were from field trips so they had signed consent to use photos. I've not been in the same situation so I am really not sure how I'd feel about it.

My dd was on the orthodonist's website as part of advertising but she signed a consent form  for it (she was 18 when her braces were removed).

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM

honestly I think I would be taken aback by it, and check and see if I had signed a consent.  We've stayed at one of those water park hotels and I do not remember there being any signage saying that we could be filmed.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN