• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to help DD think positive but feel bad for her too

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

So we have only lived in the area for 2 years and it was hard for my kids to adjust to moving over 1k miles away from home.  My dd was starting 6th grade and was scared to death to start a new school... Well she did make some great friends, she was a little sad when they went to the middle school for 7th that only a few of her friends had made the same team as her.  But so happy to have the ones she had to share 7th with... She said at least she new she wasnt alone... Well homerooms and teams came out this morning and none of her friends are in the same team with her, so she wont see them at all at school they will be in completely different areas.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM
She will make new friends. This is common and happened to both of my kids. Just give it a few weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM

That happened to my son a lot in elementary school. It seemed like every year his friends weren't in his homeroom. I tried to stay positive every year by just saying it was a great opportunity to make even more friends.

Maybe you can also arrange for her friends to come over after school. Not having them in the same team doesn't mean she can't spend time with them still.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Mine had that.  For a long time the teams stayed with the same core group of friends she had.  Because she is IB there are only 2 teams.  Well last year she was on the team with no one she knew.  Now this year there are no teams and she starts 8th grade as a jr. high schooler and has to deal with alot more.

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

i hate when that happens.....the schools do it for a reason....but im sorry it made it a lot harder to make really close friends....so good luck to her!!

pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM

This happened to all three of my daughters at least once.  Even in HS when they dont have teams, last year DD17 didnt have anyone she knew in any of her classes (except colorguard) but she had a bunch of her friends at lunch.  The year before that she had lots of friends in her classes but none at lunch.  Its pretty mmuch the luck of the draw. 

She will make new friends though and I would make it a point to get her together with her current friends before school starts (maybe have a slumber party) and then encourage her to invite them over often once school starts and maybe even include some new friends. :)

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Mine moved 4 times. Kids are resiliant and usually do really well. Encourage and be all positive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Its.Me.Mama
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I know she will do great.... just so different the school she was at before we moved here was a k-12 school and there were 34 kids total in the entire grade.  So she knew everyone all the time.  (Same school I went too 27 in my grad class, so many of the kids were people i grad with's children)  

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I'm sure she will make lots of friends once the butterlies settle.

FindersKeepers
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

My SD changed groups of friends a couple of times during middle school.   It is the worst years of school IMO.  Anyhow, having different groups of friends can be a good thing. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Our middle school was like that too. I know she will be anxious starting out the school year without her friends on her team but she will be fine. She will make new friends and she can always hang out with her older friends after school or on the weekends.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)