Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Driving permit

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM
  • 26 Replies
My ds recently received his permit. Friends suggested the "student driver" magnets for the back of the car. I ordered them after his permit and we had tailgaters. Well now he is doing well and refusing to drive with them on.

Did you use these? Find them helpful?

We are at a stand still as I refuse to let him dictate, but this just seems silly. A few of his friends have had them, not many.
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not do that to my child!
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with your son.  Those magnets would be embarrassing.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I would never do that to my child. Drivers ed does it. That is enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I didn't know it was even possible to get those magnets.  Had I known, I still wouldn't have done it.   

If he is doing well now I would consider taking them off.  In my opinion listening to your child and taking his feelings and thoughts into consideration is not letting them "dictate" it's giving them a voice.  Listen to him and consider why he doesn't want them on any more then make your decision.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

We don't have a choice here in Australia - it's illegal to drive without signs stating that they are a learner driver.

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I think they would be bad around here because some people would mess with you and try to make you nervous

Bertieb
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I know you meant well but my DD would die too and refuse to drive. Dealing with tailgaters is one more thing he needs to learn to do anyway.

CBMomma42
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My son just go his license 2 months ago. I never used anything like that. People where I live drive like idiots so it wouldn't have helped anyway.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I didn't think you could drive with those on. 'What did I know"

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quoting Bertieb:

I know you meant well but my DD would die too and refuse to drive. Dealing with tailgaters is one more thing he needs to learn to do anyway.

They  all would

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)