Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 15 yo daughter and hanging out with friends and a boy

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
My 15 yo daughter has recently started to want to hang out with friends at our community/city park. There is a boy that is 18 that she has fallen in love with practically over night. These kids she goes to school with. Anyway, she is not allowed to date til she is 16. We know this boy is there. I don't know what to do. Any advice?
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

don't let her go unless you are there to supervise

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
No way. Do not allow it at all. He is an adult. Your dd is too young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I agree with the others.  Be firm about your rules.

jojo_star
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I would sit my daughter down, explain to her that rules are rules, and then let her go hang out with her friends. If she really wants to date this guy, I'd have her invite them all over so I could get to know him. 

JessicaR7
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I always told my daughter she wasn't allowed to date until she was 16 and she wasn't allowed to date anyone more than a year older than her.  There is a difference between 15 and 18, not in regard to their cognitive development, but purely in his ability to manipulate a 15 year old.  I would let her know that the boy is off limits and if she attempts to see him knowing your rules, there will be consequences.  If you know she is going there to hang out with him then don't allow her to go.

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
My kids never hung out at parks or malls, etc. unsupervised. Never allowed to be with kids we didn't know. 18 is way too old.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Are the feelings even mutual?

Just make your rules super clear to her, also remind her that is most states she would be considered jail bait, and that anything beyond friendship could get the boy in serious trouble.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Mine did not hang out with a boy alone until she was - and that time was without my permission - and only happened once and the next time was with my permission at 17. I knew every kid she ever hung out with, and still do at 21.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Yep I agree, I have a dd the same age

Quoting MrsBLB:

I agree with the others.  Be firm about your rules.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karenbeth214
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Stick with the 16 dating rule. But you can have him come over to your house and everything to get to know him until she does reach 16. It might put your mind at ease about them dating.Not all 18 year old boys want to manipulate 16 year old girls.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)