Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Ideas to promote good conduct grade

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have a soon to be 14 yo son who will be in 8th grade this year. He has dyslexia and he likes attention (being the class clown). His teachers really don't like him and he FAILED conduct twice last year. Can anyone give me creative ways to help keep him motivated to act "right" during the school day??? Thank you!!
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Choose consequences at home for bad behavior. Just like if he was home. Consistant discipline. Also praise and rewards for a week of good behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I've never heard of a conduct grade before. When my son was in elementary, he did have ratings on his progress reports about his behavior in certain areas, but it's not graded in middle school. 

What does he have to do to earn a positive conduct grade? Do you get enough communication from the teachers throughout the year to enforce it at home?

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

What does he failed conduct mean?

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I've never heard of a conduct grade before. When my son was in elementary, he did have ratings on his progress reports about his behavior in certain areas, but it's not graded in middle school. 

What does he have to do to earn a positive conduct grade? Do you get enough communication from the teachers throughout the year to enforce it at home?

That all I hae ever heard about.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Rewards and consequences.    Creative?   Ask for a weekly report on conduct from his teachers.... if he has had a good week, let him choose a fun weekend activity, such as a sleep over, going to a movie, paint ball, whatever he enjoys doing.    If he gets a poor report, give a consequence.... work chores, volunteering at a soup kitchen, taking away video games and computer.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this

yup I believe in reward and consequences also.When I have used the reward system also I stretch out the length of time between rewards as they become more successful.We did this for one of mine in 6th due to not doing homework.The rewards got further apart as it became a habit (again) to do it all completely and done well.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Rewards and consequences.    Creative?   Ask for a weekly report on conduct from his teachers.... if he has had a good week, let him choose a fun weekend activity, such as a sleep over, going to a movie, paint ball, whatever he enjoys doing.    If he gets a poor report, give a consequence.... work chores, volunteering at a soup kitchen, taking away video games and computer.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

The same way you would do it anywhere else. Good behavior gets rewards. Bad behavior gets discipline.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
We had conduct grades, called citizenship in 1st to 6th grade.
My girls had it till 5th. It is how you act. Act up in class you got a D or F.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa573
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Great answers, gals. Gives me some ideas. As far as the quote of "failed conduct", the kids get checks for unacceptable behavior (talking out, etc.) and for each check, one point gets taken off his "conduct grade". I felt if he got lower than 70% (an"F" in any other subject), he failed.

Thank you for your advice, and if you have any other creative ideas for rewards/consequences, I am always open to suggestions!! Have a great one!!!

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If he has dyslexia, he should be on an IEP or 504.  Get together with the school guidance NOW and have it written into his accommodations, that as long as he does not disrupt the ENTIRE class, and as long as he makes adequate academic progress, then he should NOT have "conduct" grades.  His "conduct" is irrelevant as long as he is not violent.  If all else fails, have him pulled from the LRE, and schooled separately. 

ESPECIALLY if he is on an IEP, the goal is to EDUCATE, and make sure he makes adequate yearly academic progress.  It is NOT to judge his behavior, again, as long as he is not violent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN