Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Belly problems haha

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 18 Replies
My daughter told me today that for her thirteenth birthday she wants a belly button ring I calmly said no she proceeded to tell me that if I don't let her get one she will get one anyway. What should I do?
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Check the laws for your state. In MN (where I live), a piercing like that is only legal with parental consent and by a licensed piercer in a licensed piercing establishment. If my child got a piercing anywhere else, I would file a police report against the person violating the state laws.

FullHomeGirl
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM
She would get it homepierced
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her no, YOU are the parent. My 15 year old dd has wanted one for a while she knows until she is a legal adult I won't sign the consent. She ALSO knows if she ever went out and did this on her own,?? Good grief her consequences would be major, no cell no social life as in grounded for a while. She has grown up with these boundaries so wouldn't even consider it I don't think? The risk of non professional piercings is quite high. I'm am RN and worked in the ER for 15 years. I saw many young girls with infected navel piercings that were done professionally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM

In almost every state that would be illegal. If she came home she would be removing it and grounded. Heck, some states won't even do kids that young with parental permission.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM

YUP ,exactly what would have happened here.Mine is 22 now , she has ...had...wanted one since she was 14 ,we told her no till she was in college and she paid at a proper place.Still doesn't have one ,she goes away to college so it is completely her choice now.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Tell her no, YOU are the parent. My 15 year old dd has wanted one for a while she knows until she is a legal adult I won't sign the consent. She ALSO knows if she ever went out and did this on her own,?? Good grief her consequences would be major, no cell no social life as in grounded for a while. She has grown up with these boundaries so wouldn't even consider it I don't think? The risk of non professional piercings is quite high. I'm am RN and worked in the ER for 15 years. I saw many young girls with infected navel piercings that were done professionally.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Lol I'm hoping by the time she's old enough to get one legally herself she will be mature enough to re think the decision or at least care for it properly. My DS used to half joke he wanted a tattoo. Lol he's almost 21 and lives 600 miles away at school. He could technically get one whenever he wanted, he just told me no chance he wants to be an attorney lol!

Quoting drfink:

YUP ,exactly what would have happened here.Mine is 22 now , she has ...had...wanted one since she was 14 ,we told her no till she was in college and she paid at a proper place.Still doesn't have one ,she goes away to college so it is completely her choice now.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL my 28 y.o. wanted a significant to military tattoo on his left bicep.We said the same to him as we later said to his sister.Never did during college but was going to the day he graduated and commissioned ,then when he earned his Ranger tab ,then when he got his date for his first deployment ,when he got back , in honor of his Bronze Star w/ Valor ,promoted to Capt etc etc LOL all those are in the past and nothing yet...LOL.We are beginning to think it just might not happen....ya think.... hahahaha

His fiancee doesn't object to tattoos but would prefer he not get one...she is going to be a wonderful DIL....  ; )

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Lol I'm hoping by the time she's old enough to get one legally herself she will be mature enough to re think the decision or at least care for it properly. My DS used to half joke he wanted a tattoo. Lol he's almost 21 and lives 600 miles away at school. He could technically get one whenever he wanted, he just told me no chance he wants to be an attorney lol!

Quoting drfink:

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:14 AM
You tell her no and spell out for her in detail what the consequences will be if she goes behind your back and does it herself. Also if you think it will help do some research on pain, infection percentages, etc. after all that if she still does it follow through on the consequences c
02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM

It is easy to get infected and painful to get pierced. 

If she has someone do it and they hit the wrong thing she could not only get a bad infection but die. 

I know someone that got a tongue piercing and while sleeping their mouth filled with blood and they almost didn't;t make it.

If the wrong spot is hit with most piercings you can start bleeding and not be able to stop it and another problem is going numb in the area and it being permanent, and don't forget infection.

alaskamoms
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I think 13 is way to young for a belly piercing.  When my daughter was 13 she wanted on too, and I said no.  She is now 17 and I still say no.  If she want's one when she is 18 that is her choice but I will not sign for it.

I made the mistake of letting her get here lip pierced at 15, big mistake... Thankfully she does not wear them anymore and they are mostly healed away.  But I regret the decision now. 

Don't do it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)