Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Let Your Teens Smoke Dope?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 50 Replies

Another Reason Cool Moms Shouldn't Let Their Kids Smoke Pot

by Kiri Blakeley

Moms, if you are tempted to turn the other way when your teen smokes pot -- or even smoke up with your little pothead -- you may want to think twice about it. A new study says that, in your formative years, smoking even a little bit of pot can result in lifelong brain damage and cause a significantly higher risk of psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia. I know some moms love their pot and consider it a natural herb much like mint from the garden, but this study is kind of scary.

Granted, the study was done with mice (poor mice!), but what it concluded is that teenage mice who were given low doses of the active ingredient in marijuana for only 20 days did weird things to their cheese like try to paint starbursts on it and they giggled uncontrollably when asked, "Who cut the cheese?"

No, seriously, folks, the mice got brain damage! There were also indications that the mouse brains did the same sort of thing that happens in the brains of humans when they have schizophrenia and psychiatric disorders.

On the other hand, the study concluded that the same thing doesn't happen when adults smoke dope. The adult mice's brains were fine after they got high. Says the study's lead author:

Adolescence is the critical period during which marijuana use can be damaging.

Another study showed that marijuana use destroys dopamine in the brain of both teens and adults, making them more withdrawn, apathetic, and lethargic. They needed a study for that?

I know plenty of people who occasionally indulged in pot use as a teen and none of them are brain damaged or have schizophrenia, but some of them certainly are spacey and forgetful!

At any rate, moms might want to think twice before letting their teen get away with toking up and being thankful he or she isn't boozing or drugging. In fact, just keep those teens in a big plastic bubble, 'kay?

Do you let your teen smoke dope?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM

No it is illegal and I would turn them in if I caught them.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Ha. Ha. Ha. No. If I caught ANY of my kids smoking ANYTHING they would be in a world of hurt. And that's AFTER I report it to the police/their school if they got it on school grounds.

lakerfan420
by Jamie on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM
My oldest (15) has tried it, and discovered it wasn't for her. Plus she's way too busy with school and extracurriculars anyways, and she doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize that. My 13 year old has no desire to try it at this point, but does know she can come to us if she ever does. Yes I am the mom that would rather her kids experiment at home if they really want to, and yet even with them knowing that, their desire is nowhere near what it is with some of their friends. Maybe because it's so normalized in our house (both my dh and I are medical) and they see it as such, or because we've taken the forbidden-ness effect away, or some combination of both. Ftr, I grew up in a very conservative household where pot is a gateway drug and yet all 5 of my siblings and I have at least tried it and two of us are regular smokers. And yet dh is the middle of five kids who grew up in a very pro pot house, and yet he's the only one who smokes, and didn't start until well into adulthood and at the advice of our chiropractor.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM
No, hell no. My 19 and 22 yo do not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

No

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Hell NO!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

This doesn't surprise me, their brains are still developing into their early 20s. Drugs are definitely a big fat NO in my house.

Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Whaaaat tsk tskHe knows better, really!

JessicaEmlaw
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM

No, I wouldn't let them smoke and as far as I know they never have

Pink.Frosting
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM

No.  Never.  But they wouldn't want to anyway so it's really not an issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)