Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Let Your Teens Smoke Dope?

Another Reason Cool Moms Shouldn't Let Their Kids Smoke Pot

by Kiri Blakeley

Moms, if you are tempted to turn the other way when your teen smokes pot -- or even smoke up with your little pothead -- you may want to think twice about it. A new study says that, in your formative years, smoking even a little bit of pot can result in lifelong brain damage and cause a significantly higher risk of psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia. I know some moms love their pot and consider it a natural herb much like mint from the garden, but this study is kind of scary.

Granted, the study was done with mice (poor mice!), but what it concluded is that teenage mice who were given low doses of the active ingredient in marijuana for only 20 days did weird things to their cheese like try to paint starbursts on it and they giggled uncontrollably when asked, "Who cut the cheese?"

No, seriously, folks, the mice got brain damage! There were also indications that the mouse brains did the same sort of thing that happens in the brains of humans when they have schizophrenia and psychiatric disorders.

On the other hand, the study concluded that the same thing doesn't happen when adults smoke dope. The adult mice's brains were fine after they got high. Says the study's lead author:

Adolescence is the critical period during which marijuana use can be damaging.

Another study showed that marijuana use destroys dopamine in the brain of both teens and adults, making them more withdrawn, apathetic, and lethargic. They needed a study for that?

I know plenty of people who occasionally indulged in pot use as a teen and none of them are brain damaged or have schizophrenia, but some of them certainly are spacey and forgetful!

At any rate, moms might want to think twice before letting their teen get away with toking up and being thankful he or she isn't boozing or drugging. In fact, just keep those teens in a big plastic bubble, 'kay?

Do you let your teen smoke dope?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
gerigirl90
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM
My son does/did it. I don't allow it. When he goes to his dads, he smokes it. He is 16. I have been giving him drug tests when he comes home or if I see something odd with him. So far so good. No dirty tests. But I test him randomly and unexpectedly. I got him counsling too.
HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM
That's a big HELL NO!!!!
littlelamb303
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I don't let her smoke and I don't want her to smoke, but I know she does anyway.  No, I will not report her and give her a police record either. I smoked weed as a teen over 30 yrs ago(not all the time).  My biggest concern with it is the possibility of her moving on to far more lethal drugs(alcohol is far more lethal than weed, regardless of what  anyone on here thinks). or other drugs.  You cannot control what your teens do all the time either and you are ignorant if you think otherwise  .  I did so much bad crap as a kid, and my parents DID NOT raise me to be like that, I rebelled.   At least my dd tells me when she does bad things. I have her in counseling, and she has been there a long time(a lot of it is because of her drunken father) .  I have raised her to do the right thing, and she knows how I feel.  

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Uh, No.   My adult son smokes it, I know.   I do not let him.   I have no choice in the matter.

littlelamb303
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

to the moms that would report them to the police, just a question. Do you really think that will stop them? I don't agree with you if you say it will.  Also, my teen tells me MORE than I want to know.  I wonder how many of  your kids are doing things on the side and you don't know about it?  My super conservative parents did not have a clue about all the awful things I did.  I celebrate my 49th birthday tomorrow and sometimes wonder how I got here alive. My parents never knew the truth. I gave up drinking and and marijuana many years ago, I did not turn into a loser drug addict either because I rebelled a lot in my youth.  I grew up, got an education in a professional field and left those days long behind.   To this day, my dad still does not know the entire truth about me(he knows a bit, but not all).

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I grew up in a home like yours. My brother is now dead of a drug overdose. You should ask my mom how she feels about this now. Seems great and laid back at the time, and yeah it doesn't always stop with pot, so I dont want to hear " My kids would never do that" In my brothers case it stopped with 3 pages of illegal and prescription drugs in his system, dumped in front of an emergency room front door, dead at 24 left by his "best friend" as he ran home to clean out his house then to tell my mom. Oh and his "friend", dead less than six months later of a drug overdose. TEN all together, ten of them died and two in prison for prescription drug abuse.

Good luck to you, I pray you reconsider. I think that parents like you should have to visit the morgue as parents identify their drug overdosed children and you can hear the screams of their mothers.

Quoting lakerfan420:

My oldest (15) has tried it, and discovered it wasn't for her. Plus she's way too busy with school and extracurriculars anyways, and she doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize that. My 13 year old has no desire to try it at this point, but does know she can come to us if she ever does. Yes I am the mom that would rather her kids experiment at home if they really want to, and yet even with them knowing that, their desire is nowhere near what it is with some of their friends. Maybe because it's so normalized in our house (both my dh and I are medical) and they see it as such, or because we've taken the forbidden-ness effect away, or some combination of both. Ftr, I grew up in a very conservative household where pot is a gateway drug and yet all 5 of my siblings and I have at least tried it and two of us are regular smokers. And yet dh is the middle of five kids who grew up in a very pro pot house, and yet he's the only one who smokes, and didn't start until well into adulthood and at the advice of our chiropractor.

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I would never turn my children into the police for drug use. A record does not help anyone. I'm fortunate that my children have seen first hand the havoc drug abuse causes. They see that drig use is not glamorous. I would get them help and drop to my knees and pray to God for help. I pray everyday that they do not ever touch illegal drugs, including marijuana.

Quoting littlelamb303:

to the moms that would report them to the police, just a question. Do you really think that will stop them? I don't agree with you if you say it will.  Also, my teen tells me MORE than I want to know.  I wonder how many of  your kids are doing things on the side and you don't know about it?  My super conservative parents did not have a clue about all the awful things I did.  I celebrate my 49th birthday tomorrow and sometimes wonder how I got here alive. My parents never knew the truth. I gave up drinking and and marijuana many years ago, I did not turn into a loser drug addict either because I rebelled a lot in my youth.  I grew up, got an education in a professional field and left those days long behind.   To this day, my dad still does not know the entire truth about me(he knows a bit, but not all).

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I would never turn my children into the police for drug use. A record does not help anyone. I'm fortunate that my children have seen first hand the havoc drug abuse causes. They see that drig use is not glamorous. I would get them help and drop to my knees and pray to God for help. I pray everyday that they do not ever touch illegal drugs, including marijuana.

Quoting littlelamb303:

JessicaR7
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM

It makes sense; from the ages of 17 - 23 teens and young adults are still using the same part of their brain as they did when they were 15 because the brain is still developing.  No: I don't allow my teen to smoke dope.  I don't allow her to have sex in her bedroom either and I don't allow boyfriends to spend the night.  I'm a young mom but I'm certainly not a cool mom.  My job isn't to be her friend, it is to ensure she is safe.  I know adults who smoke weed and that's fine if that is something they want to do.  I don't do that.  I personally would prefer that everyone could cope with life in such a way that they didn't need any type of drug, natural or otherwise, to navigate life.

JessicaR7
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I would not report my child's drug use but if they got caught, I would not shield them from the consequences of their actions.  I actually know all of the drugs my daughter has used, she told me the day she lost her virginity, and I know how many sex partners she has had.  My daughter shares a lot with me.  Having rules doesn't necessarily mean a child won't share the truth with their parents either.  Obviously, there were times she went behind our back but we didn't make it easy on her.  My daughter also knows I will randomly drug test her and sometimes she asks me to because she wants me to trust that she is being truthful with me.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)