Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Let Your Teens Smoke Dope?

Another Reason Cool Moms Shouldn't Let Their Kids Smoke Pot

by Kiri Blakeley

Moms, if you are tempted to turn the other way when your teen smokes pot -- or even smoke up with your little pothead -- you may want to think twice about it. A new study says that, in your formative years, smoking even a little bit of pot can result in lifelong brain damage and cause a significantly higher risk of psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia. I know some moms love their pot and consider it a natural herb much like mint from the garden, but this study is kind of scary.

Granted, the study was done with mice (poor mice!), but what it concluded is that teenage mice who were given low doses of the active ingredient in marijuana for only 20 days did weird things to their cheese like try to paint starbursts on it and they giggled uncontrollably when asked, "Who cut the cheese?"

No, seriously, folks, the mice got brain damage! There were also indications that the mouse brains did the same sort of thing that happens in the brains of humans when they have schizophrenia and psychiatric disorders.

On the other hand, the study concluded that the same thing doesn't happen when adults smoke dope. The adult mice's brains were fine after they got high. Says the study's lead author:

Adolescence is the critical period during which marijuana use can be damaging.

Another study showed that marijuana use destroys dopamine in the brain of both teens and adults, making them more withdrawn, apathetic, and lethargic. They needed a study for that?

I know plenty of people who occasionally indulged in pot use as a teen and none of them are brain damaged or have schizophrenia, but some of them certainly are spacey and forgetful!

At any rate, moms might want to think twice before letting their teen get away with toking up and being thankful he or she isn't boozing or drugging. In fact, just keep those teens in a big plastic bubble, 'kay?

Do you let your teen smoke dope?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
shorty13417
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM

hell no

Momofmenagerie
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Uh, no. He's also been told he isn't to drink or get high with his winner of a father.
jojo_star
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

No. 

hhhanna
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I don't do it and as a responsible parent I wouldn't allow them to do it.  If caught, losing the dope will be the least of their worries.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

No but I also don't consider myself to be a  "cool" mom, lol. I'm pretty sure my 19 y/o has tried it but not at my house or on my property that wouldn't be tolerated.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM

no

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

No but I also don't consider myself to be a  "cool" mom, lol. I'm pretty sure my 19 y/o has tried it but not at my house or on my property that wouldn't be tolerated.

yup same here.I wouldn't be surprised if my 28 y.o. tried it ,a little more surprised if my 22 y.o. has but it's not impossible .Agree not tolerated here.Nothing indicates my teens have ...everyday they get older and so far so good....knock wood.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I know my dd isn't into the party scene. She has ended friendships with people who drop pills and smoke pot all the time. My dd's boyfriend is 21 and doesn't hang out at the bars or buy her alcohol. They just aren't into it. I am thankful for that!

Quoting drfink:

Quoting mumsy2three:

yup same here.I wouldn't be surprised if my 28 y.o. tried it ,a little more surprised if my 22 y.o. has but it's not impossible .Agree not tolerated here.Nothing indicates my teens have ...everyday they get older and so far so good....knock wood.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM

My 28 y.o. had some moments as a teen when he was a rebel WITHOUT a cause.Fortunately he stayed on track and he matured.It's just not my daughter's style and so far the teens are more on the nerd side ...they don't think so lol but they are.They have a large active group of friends very much like them.So I am hopeful they stay on this path.

Good for your daughter ,it is so nice as they blossom into responsible adults.

Quoting mumsy2three:

I know my dd isn't into the party scene. She has ended friendships with people who drop pills and smoke pot all the time. My dd's boyfriend is 21 and doesn't hang out at the bars or buy her alcohol. They just aren't into it. I am thankful for that!

Quoting drfink:

Quoting mumsy2three:

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Hell no!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)