Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I have a 16 year old dd and we fight all the time because I have anger issues. I have called her fat, ugly, stupid , not good enough, worthless, loser and a bunch of other things. I know I get angry at her for no reason but I tell her that I'm sorry all the time. But she never accepts my apology she just  always gets angry and sad that I have called her these names. I am very sorry to my dd but she can't see how sorry I am. She has told me before that she loves me just because I gave life to her and raised her. But she doesn't love me in any other way.

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
Xstitchinmom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM
It sounds like you need help to control your anger. The effects of verbal abuse can last a lifetime. I'm 40 years old and I can still remember when my mom use to tell me she wishes I was never born. I have cut her completely out of my life due to this and other things she's done and I don't regret doing it. Get help now before your dd loses all respect and possibly disowns you one day...
momto2inflorida
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I try to control my anger issues but it's really difficult. I want counseling but I really don't think I can change my ways. I am aware though that she doesn't want to associate with me. I come in her room to talk to her and she says she doesn't want to talk and that I act more like a friend than a parent. 

kailalaila
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM

saying mean words like that to any kid any age is wrong, believe it or not the emotional effect of those words can last a lifetime. and will interfere in the way they see themselves. if you have anger issues seek help. I don't blame your dd for not accepting your apology.

trying2survive
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:23 PM
You can have anger issues all you want but when you say those things to her they hurt in a way that sorry can't fix....once , twice can be gotten over but repeatedly calling her names is going to make her unable to love you the way you want. The more you care about or love someone the more power they have to hurt you, so in order to save herself she will have to shut you out.
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momto2inflorida:

I try to control my anger issues but it's really difficult. I want counseling but I really don't think I can change my ways. I am aware though that she doesn't want to associate with me. I come in her room to talk to her and she says she doesn't want to talk and that I act more like a friend than a parent. 

If you don't think you can change your ways and if you love your daughter, can you make sure she has somewhere to live where she is NOT verbally abused by a mother who has anger issues and can't change her ways? What a nightmare situation for her? You had to know the response you would get from this post, what are you waiting for?

mimimom139
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM
When I read the title, I thought "what else is new?" Well, no wonder! Get help and prove to her that you're sorry. Don't expect it to get better over night because you're words are going to stay with her for the rest of her life. She may be able to forgive (eventually), but she'll never forget.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM

If you are not already in counselling for your anger issues start there.

Medusa686
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

That's awful. I feel so sorry for her.  She only has 2 more years with you before she can pack her bags and get away.  She'll most likley have low self esteem that will plague her for years to come because of you.  Of course she is angry, I'd hate your guts if you were my mom.  You need some kind of therapy for your anger and extremely poor parenting skills.  Obvioulsy you don't love her at all. Shame.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
If you really want to change you can, for something like this though you need professional help. Please try counseling and go in with a positive attitude, knowing that you can change b

Quoting momto2inflorida:

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Why don't you think you can change your ways? My sister does have a mood disorder, and so she struggles with controlling her own behavior. Have you been diagnosed with a mood disorder? If so, I really think you need to seek a counselor that can eventually help you. Maybe the one you saw before wasn't a right fit. 

Please continue trying to better yourself. You're the only one that can do that.

Quoting momto2inflorida:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN