Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Homework in high school. Yay or Nay

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have seen so many anti homework posts from friends with children in elementary school on my facebook page, that I started to wonder if high school parents feel the same way about it.

Do you think that homework should be given in high school or should lessons be learned, reviewed and mastered in the classroom? 

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If school lasted an entire year, sure.  There is simply not enough time to learn, review, and master it all in class....in my opinion.  I understand the why people are against homework.  I can understand it from a parent's perspective.  But, I also can understand how homework can be beneficial from a teacher's perspective.

I give one homework assignment a week.  I give it to my students on Friday, and they turn it in on the following Thursday.  It is a spiral review of topics we have worked on throughout the school year.  My students call it "maintenance homework."  It allows me to see what skills they have forgotten.  It allows them to get constant review so that they don't forget.  I think that has purpose. I teach middle school math.  I have really seen a difference in the amount of material they are able to retain since doing this.

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Homework is necessary in hs to prepare them for college. It's not a horrible thing in elementary school, but a pain for the parents. I think around fourth and fifth grade a little bit every week, and in middle school a little more. It should be building as they get older.

My dd has less homework in middle school than she did in first grade, but she uses her time wisely and gets it finished in home room, and she takes a late bus so she has 30 minutes from the time school dismisses until her school bus gets there, she works on it then too. She only actually brought home her work a couple of times in the last two years.
HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I wish mine had a teacher like you.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

If school lasted an entire year, sure.  There is simply not enough time to learn, review, and master it all in class....in my opinion.  I understand the why people are against homework.  I can understand it from a parent's perspective.  But, I also can understand how homework can be beneficial from a teacher's perspective.

I give one homework assignment a week.  I give it to my students on Friday, and they turn it in on the following Thursday.  It is a spiral review of topics we have worked on throughout the school year.  My students call it "maintenance homework."  It allows me to see what skills they have forgotten.  It allows them to get constant review so that they don't forget.  I think that has purpose. I teach middle school math.  I have really seen a difference in the amount of material they are able to retain since doing this.

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Thanks!

Homework is the first thing most parents ask me about during open house.  Most, are shocked to hear that they only have math homework once a week.  Unfortunately, you can never make everyone happy.  I always have a few parents that don't agree and end up giving their children extra homework themselves.  I have explained to them that studies have been performed that showed no correlation between the amount of homework given and student achievement.  I guess you can think of it as quality over quantity. 

In my opinion, you should ever give homework on a new math skill for a student to practice.  It is much harder to undo what a student has practiced incorrectly. I only give maintenance homework on skills that I feel are mastered.  The purpose of the homework is to make sure the skills are not forgotten.

Quoting HilbillyMamaof3:

I wish mine had a teacher like you.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Yes, gotta be ready for the oodles of homework in college and how to balance time and a good homework ethic. That being said it doesn't need to be 4 hours a night. Most is not bad unless you have AP classes.
Mine had 3 to 4 hours a night in 5th grade. It eased up after that year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cloughmom5
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Of course high schoolers should have homework, as well as elementary school! It's part of learning and I love it because that means less time trying to get them off the damn playstation! Homework is not just filling out worksheets, its also writing essays which gets them thinking and forming their own thoughts on topics, its projects which helps with their creativity! It's a very important thing!

busymommy2013
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Kids entering college need to be used to having homework.College gives a ton of homework, so if e teen isn't conditioned for homework, he or she will be overwhelmed.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I think homework is good at any age, as long as it doesn't become overwhelming. In elementary, it's a good way to reinforce what was taught at school. In high school, I think it's good to teach research and how to write papers for college (in addition to reinforcing what they're learning in the classroom).

MrsBLB
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Homework is a part of life.  It never stops, even when you're out of school.  It's good to keep learning.  Homework helps to keep one from forgetting also.

JessicaR7
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I'm not anti-homework per say, once they hit middle and high school they should be able to do their homework without supervision. As a working mom, my complaint with homework in elementary school is the amount if parental involvement needed. It can be daunting while trying to make dinner, feed the dogs, do the dishes, do a load of laundry, tell your child to get started on their reading, then tell them to do their worksheets, etc. I don't mind keeping him on task, it's the fact that I have to sign his reading folder, I sign his homework folder, and I read all the notices from the school. Its homework for this teacher, that teacher, and the notices and paperwork from the school. It's not the homework I mind...it's the parent work. In the grand scheme of life it isn't a big deal but I'm not gonna lie, I have enjoyed having the summer off and not having to deal with the homework paperwork.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN