Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How safe are your teens when they drive?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 13 Replies

I was reading about the two college football players who died the other day in a car accident. Apparently the driver drifted off the road, over corrected and ended up crashing. The 3 people who died (the two football players included) were not wearing their seatbelts.

One of the football players had tweeted earlier that they were back on their way home from a 22 hour trip with no sleep.

Do your kids know to not drive when they are tired? To always wear their seatbelts? To not text/talk and drive?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM

My son isn't driving yet, but we're already talking about those things and what it takes to be a responsible driver (i.e. not tired, no texting, etc.).

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Yes to all. We also didn't allow her to take her drivers exam until she drove with her permit for a year. My dd is a cautious driver.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Yes I believe my DS age 20 our only driver so far has always been very cautious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Oh yes.    Both know better than to text while driving....  they do always wear seatbelts, and my oldest goes on lots of 3 hour weekend road trips to visit friends.    I know if he gets tired he puts the a/c on full blast and turns up the stereo, sometimes he calls me (hands free bluetooth) and we chat until he gets home.

steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

My boys aren't driving yet, however we spend a lot of time talking about driving, being safe on the road, and about the stupid things that we see other drivers doing.  I love when my boys notice the bad habits of other drivers, it lets me know that they are actually paying attention.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Yes we have talked about all these things and I know my done who is the only one of the two that drives follows these rules and is safe.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM
My eldest had a friend admit to texting her while he was driving, apparently the first ever time he had done so. DD got incredibly mad at him and he still didn't see why it was "such a big deal"
CBMomma42
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Yes my son drives safe. Its other people I worry about.
JessicaR7
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids know this but does she follow it...not all of the time.  We have so many conversations about this issue.  She just learned of some students she knew who were in an accident last night.  One died and one is critical condition.  I asked her if hearing this makes her more cautious about driving.  She admitted it does make her think about how she does scroll through her Instragram sometimes when driving and how it isn't safe.  I'm sure it will temporarily make her more cautious but eventually she will be over confident again and I'm sure she will practice unsafe driving habits.  Teens think they are invincible.  The funny thing is...I am so anti-cell phone while driving so I've modeled the behavior I want my daughter to adopt but she still does what most teens do.

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

My 16 y.o. is a safe driver.I don't think perfect but we talk and talk and talk.The week before he got his license a 17 y.o. drag raced another 17 y.o. along the street that runs along the front of our h.s..One of the boys hit the esplanade curb and knocked down two trees before hitting  a massive one head on. He was killed.That Monday and for several weeks you could see the car ruts ,still can see the damage to the the tree and a permanent marker is there now.As I drove past it all week the carpool would become silent.my son got his license that Fri.I think it shook him a lot....good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN