Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ladies I  am in desperate need of assistance. I am now a single mom of 2 girls. Just moved on our own. I have no housewares, money to buy school clothes or groceries. I dont qualify for state aid. Any suggestions or help?? THank s

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Freecycle.org

It won't help with money for food~ I would look for a local food pantry for that. You can post an items wanted ad (for free) to ask for gently used clothes and household items. Most freecycle mods don't allow sob stories so keep it direct and to the point. You can also post items that you are offering, if you ever have any. Good luck

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Besides a local food pantry contact your local churches
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Good ideas given.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Try calling 211. In most areas, that puts you in touch with the local United Way.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Also, for school supplies and clothes contact your local school district's offices.  I know our school district has special programs in place to help families with supplies and clothes/uniforms. 

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Talk to the school about school supplies. They should be able to give you resources on where to obtain them for free. As for housewares try a local church. (even if you are not religious they will help you)

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I love freecycle. :) I need to use it again... Been a while.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Freecycle.org

It won't help with money for food~ I would look for a local food pantry for that. You can post an items wanted ad (for free) to ask for gently used clothes and household items. Most freecycle mods don't allow sob stories so keep it direct and to the point. You can also post items that you are offering, if you ever have any. Good luck

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Also go to yard sales and thrift stores. My favorite set of glass bakeware I got 5 pieces for 1.25, had it for ten years now.
Let your friend know, my BFF just called this afternoon her husband lost his job today after 12 years and he is there only income. I've rounded up backpacks for her kids (used but nice), and am going to fill them with supplies and give them to her Friday.

See if they have shop with a cop or any programs like that, and even though new school clothes are nice, they usually are not needed. Shop old navy if they need uniforms, they almost always have khakis for $10 for the little ones, and polos cheap.

For groceries, think outside the box. Have breakfast for dinner, it's cheaper. Have a meatless night. If you can shop early for produce and meat, I buy tons of markdowns and freeze them.

You'll be ok.
LuvMyZBoy
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

These are all good ideas - I'm sorry that you are in this position. I don't know your circumstances but I do know how tough this can be... my mom was very suddenly on her own with us when we were 12 and 17 without any assitance. I'll say a prayer for you and your kiddos today!

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM

check with the school they have agencys that donate school supplies.

Make sure you apply for free or reduced lunch and breakfast that will help some with food cost you will just have to worry  about dinner for them during the week.

I know around here you can check the paper and churches are giving away gently used clothes and shoes for school age kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)