Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

need help with 13 year old son

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

I just found out that my 13 year old son punched his 7 year old half brother and they had to take him to ER  He had a lot of pain and impression of fist on his chest  what do I do  Will he be in legal trouble because the Dr is aware how it happened.  I was not there when it happened.  This was at his dads house.  They have fought before like brothers and sisters do but never anything like this ever.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM
That's a rough one. I would get counseling first thing. (((hugs))) I'm sure your worried sick.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:22 PM

It seems like some of this is out of your hands. If the doctors report it (and I'd be surprised if they didn't), then it's probably in the hands of the police.

Do you know what caused your 13yo to act out that way? Has he done something like this before? 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM

They may call CPS (child protective services). It depends on the laws of the state but the doctors and nurses are mandated reporters. I worked as an RN in WA state and CA for 16 years in the ER, we were required to call CPS if there were any injuries to a minor due to domestic violence. Doesn't nec mean he will get in legal trouble if cps is called, just that they will come out to the home to do an investigation.

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM

It could be reported to CPS.  There may be an investigation.  Are you getting your son  help for these anger issues?  

steelcrazy
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Like the other ladies have said, the hospital workers have to report the incident.  Is your son receiving any type of counseling?  Does he have anger/violence issues at other times?

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Wait and see what happens?    I would find out what provoked an attack like that....   is your son prone to violence?   Talk to your son and listen to what he says.     It honestly may have been an accident.    My son was shooting hoops/ play fighting with some friends and one of the guys hit my son right in the solar plexus..... the kid didn't intend to actually hurt my son, he just hit him in the right place.

sally1973
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

No never has anything like this happened the kids all fight like normal sibilings do but this time he hit him to hard.  

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It will probably be reported to CPS.  All you can really do is wait and see what comes from it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)