Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

The bottomless pit

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 17 Replies

Now I'm sure that I'm not alone in this predicament, but I'm wondering if it lasts for most of the teen years or just a short amount of time?  I don't now if I can afford for my son to be eating anything and everything all of the time for several years, especially when I have another son just 3 years younger.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it lasts throught the teen years and beyond.  Lol.    My guys also had their friends around constantly to help eat me out of house and home!      Stock up on Ramen noodles!

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

yes and they have friends that eat  ; )

steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Thanks, I think.  lol  I guess that I will be broke and have a empty refrigerator, freezer, and pantry for at least the next 10 years.  Maybe I'll become the mean mom whose house no one wants to hang out at.  lol  Although I doubt that I'll be able to pull that one off.

It absolutely amazes me how much he eats, I don't know where he puts it all.  My son is 5'4" and weighs 110-115, yet eats way more than his dad.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Yep. We call it "power feeding" here, lol. My dd and her friends were the same way. I always wondered where the heck they put all the food they were eating.

My boys aren't quite there yet but will be in a couple of years. I'll have 2 teen boys at the same time. I should start saving now to pay for groceries then, lol.

Golfermom3
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I have 3 boys to feed! One eats a whole pizza for lunch. He's 6'1 and weighs about 150. All three want to "eat healthy" which means LOTS of meat,milk, fruit not so much veggies. Gallon of milk a day plus! And the older 2 are 21 and 23. It lasts!!!! Good luck, and hello Sam's Club!!!!

I especially love the "there's nothing to eat" the day after I go shopping!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yep, it's part of the teen years. My 3rd oldest could eat his weight in food.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM

My son goes through periods of eating a lot and then eating very little. I think it correlates more to his growth spurts. He recently grew a lot, but he must have stopped because he's not eating a lot right now.

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

An idea ,it wasn't and isn't to save money but it is healthier and the cost is a great bonus .My oldest lived at home ,he is now 28 ,one year in m.s. he decided to give meat...all not just red... up for lent.Some days the rest of us ate meat but I worked at not fixing two meals.LOL  Some hits till this day are northern beans cooked all day...crockpot works....with (now not lent) about a 1/2 lb of a smokey ham chopped in onions ,seasonings ;cornbread and we like cabbage. Lentil stew -no meat-with carrots and half water and half veggie or chicken broth onions ,garlic seasonings ,which ever veggie , Red beans and rice w/or w/out sausage over rice.Plus I learned about beer bread ...easy easy and add seasoning .For the bread I serve with the lentil soup I add parm cheese or feta to the bread.

The benefit to these meals besides being healthy are that they are cheap and make a lot and are filling.I know not all friends will love these so they tend to be school night meals after practice.My teens love these three .

steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I'm lucky that I get my beef and pork for relatively no cost.  Just have to pay the butcher.  We have cows and the occasional pig or two in our backyard. 

Quoting drfink:

An idea ,it wasn't and isn't to save money but it is healthier and the cost is a great bonus .My oldest lived at home ,he is now 28 ,one year in m.s. he decided to give meat...all not just red... up for lent.Some days the rest of us ate meat but I worked at not fixing two meals.LOL  Some hits till this day are northern beans cooked all day...crockpot works....with (now not lent) about a 1/2 lb of a smokey ham chopped in onions ,seasonings ;cornbread and we like cabbage. Lentil stew -no meat-with carrots and half water and half veggie or chicken broth onions ,garlic seasonings ,which ever veggie , Red beans and rice w/or w/out sausage over rice.Plus I learned about beer bread ...easy easy and add seasoning .For the bread I serve with the lentil soup I add parm cheese or feta to the bread.

The benefit to these meals besides being healthy are that they are cheap and make a lot and are filling.I know not all friends will love these so they tend to be school night meals after practice.My teens love these three .

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Nice ,we live in a large city so no pigs or cows here ; ).....well there have been times I have called each of my teen's rooms a pigsty sooooo.....

We spend quite a bit on meat because I am very picky about meat because it is well meat...animal protein....just picky or a little quirky if you ask my husband ...he is wrong BTW hahahahaha

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm lucky that I get my beef and pork for relatively no cost.  Just have to pay the butcher.  We have cows and the occasional pig or two in our backyard. 

Quoting drfink:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN