Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What Is Your Favorite High School Movie?

10 Movies About High School That Can Teach Teens How to Survive It

by Jeanne Sager

Mean GirlsSometimes I watch the Disney Channel with my daughter (because she's 8 and I'm a glutton for punishment), and I wonder whose idea of teenagehood I'm watching. Even the most entertaining things I watch on television or in the movie theaters tend to look nothing like the real high school years I went through.

Sadly, kids think they do. They watch High School Musical (wait, am I dating myself?) or Ferris Bueller's Day Off (REALLY dating myself here) and think, "Man, oh man, high school sounds AWESOME!"

So what movies do reflect high school? What movies should our kids be watching?

I don't think any of them are perfect -- they are MOVIES, after all -- but here are a few I want my daughter to see before she starts high school. Some of them are fun, some sad, but all have some lessons worth learning.

Juno

Happy ending aside, it can't hurt for teenagers to see how quickly a teenage couple's lives are upended over a pregnancy.

Dead Poets Society

Based on a true story, Dead Poets Society explores some of the sad truths of high school life -- disappointing our parents, suicide, first love, and the fact that standing up for what you believe in isn't always easy.

Fame (1980 original)

On its surface, it's all about singing and dancing at a performing arts high school. Underneath, it's about finding your strength to be yourself.

Mean Girls

It's no coincidence that underneath the hilarity of this 2004 cult hit, there lies an uncomfortable resemblance to the real life hierarchy of high school. Tina Fey based her screenplay on Queen Bees and Wannabes, a book that was based on studies of how girls interact with one another in high schools. Learning to navigate that world is a girl's key to escaping high school with a shred of self-esteem.

Bully

It's a documentary, I know, but this real-life look at what it is like to be the victim of bullying should be required viewing at every high school in America.

Say Anything

Every teenage boy should strive to be like Lloyd Dobbler. And every teenage girl deserves a guy like him.

Crazy/Beautiful

Oh, hello scary story about what can go seriously wrong when you're drinking at a high school party.

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion

Technically this is 10 years post-high school, but every kid could use a reminder that there IS life after high school.

Friday Night Lights

Before the TV show (which is worth showing to the kids for its own reasons) was the 2004 film that showed some of the dark truths hiding behind the glitz and glamour of being the school's athletic heroes -- from abusive dads to life-changing injury. A good reminder that life isn't perfect for the popular kids either.

Have your teens seen any of these movies?

What is YOUR favorite high school movie?

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Replies (21-30):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Yay to breakfast club
We ( teen son and I ) LOVE Better Off Dead
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I don't think my DS has seen any of those. My favorites are Ferris Bueller and Mean Girls.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Better Off Dead is good. My boys like it too.

Love John Cusack

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Yay to breakfast club
We ( teen son and I ) LOVE Better Off Dead

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Fast Times is one of my favorites as well!!  Also Sixteen Candles 

Quoting atlmom2:

Hands down, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Summer School next.
Yes, they have seen Mean Girls.

steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, Michelle.  You know it doesn't take much to get me singing.  Then agan I deserve it since I had a few ladies singing a Vanilla Ice song last night.  lol

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Fame

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
High

I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
Fame

I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame
Fame

**disclaimer* if this song gets stuck in your head today, I am not liable..lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

I am also a huge fan of Breakfast Club.

My teen hasn't seen any of the movies listed and don't think that any of them would appeal to him.  I've only seen one of them (Fame).

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Dangit!!!!

STOP! Collaborate and listen. Ice is back with a brand new invention!!!

ARGHHHHHH. Steel, you evil woman!!!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Thanks, Michelle.  You know it doesn't take much to get me singing.  Then agan I deserve it since I had a few ladies singing a Vanilla Ice song last night.  lol

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Fame

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
High

I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
Fame

I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame
Fame

**disclaimer* if this song gets stuck in your head today, I am not liable..lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

I am also a huge fan of Breakfast Club.

My teen hasn't seen any of the movies listed and don't think that any of them would appeal to him.  I've only seen one of them (Fame).

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

When I saw this my first thought was Fast Times at Ridgemont High lol.  Very close second though is Breakfast Club.

Quoting atlmom2:

Hands down, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Summer School next.
Yes, they have seen Mean Girls.

MissMelanieC
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My teen has seen Mean Girls but other then that I wouldn't want her seeing any on that list except Dead Poets Society.

The Breakfast Club
Clueless
Grease

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Quoting MockingJay:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

The Breakfast Club

Some Kind Of Wonderful

Ferris Beulers Day Off

Grease

The Outsiders

Less Than Zero

This would be my list, too!    I would like to add the movie Sixteen Candles.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I love Grease and the Breakfest Club. DD loves Friday Night Lights but then she is a football junky and can quote most of the movie, she also loves Ferrris Buelluers day off.

Her dad thinks it funny she will sit to watch Ferris Bulleur and he asks why watch it,you lived it . Yes she was quite the peice of work in highschool. BUT she graduated with honours and aslo has graduated from collage with an advanced dipolma in broadcasting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN