Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

High school fees.....

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm just curious how much your teens school fees are. Ours where $90 just as a base. Once classes start each class usually has individual fees ranging from $10-20 per class. Post how much your fees are and what state you live in. This should be interesting :-)
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Replies (31-38):
almburr
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM
$50 family book rental (more than 3kids enrolled)
$10 band fees
$10 activities fees
$35 drivers Ed For freshmen
There is a wood shop and Ag fees but not sure how much they are.

Location Kansas
tossed
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Texas here....my son graduated, but we had band fees of about $350 which included uniform cleaning, instrument rental since he played a school instrument, gloves, meal fee, etc. The yearly trips varied from $300 for in state trips to $1000 for the out of state trip. Choir fees were about $75 for cleaning, entry fees, etc. The choir trips were varied from instate for about $275, out of state, but in the US to $1200 and Europe was about $2500. Some classes required scrubs, surgical gloves, etc. For both band and choir, we had to pay the fees for solo and ensemble competitions. When my son made UIL state, I had to pay the fee, trip to Austin, and accompanist. We were also required to pay for the accompanist for region. The accompanists usually charged $50 per competition. We did not have to pay for TMEA state as the district paid for that. We did not have to pay for band camp held at the high school; however, my son attended camps at Baylor, Stephen F. Austin, and Mary Hardin Baylor and we were responsible for those camps. In addition, the school has a music enrichment program where the students have private lessons and that was $30 a week. We also had mandatory t shirts for band, choir, and drama. 

Your debate fee is really reasonable. I used to be a debate sponsor (as well as high school and college competitor) and debate can be an incredibly expensive activity. When I was in hs, we traveled to California, Georgia, Illinois, and other states for tournament of champion level competitions. 

Quoting drfink:

Texas here also.The only fee our school has is senior year dues .It doesn't include prom but class picture ,picnic things like that.When my daughter graduated in 2010 I think they were 75 or a 100.

We only pay per activity.Golf was the most expensive of any activity any of mine have done including cheer in m.s. Golf for all four years was around 5,000 not including any extra lessons .She did get a very nice bag that is better than her college golf team bag ...LOL

Currently LAX is 500 .That doesn't include pads ,gloves ,helmet etc but those tend to be once every 3 or 4 years.It is the sticks that add up.

Quiz bowl is 50 as is debate .Theater Pro Company is 100 to 150 depending on if new make up is needed

Quoting Txlisa7969:

I am in Texas and to be quite honest I have never heard of yearly "school fees."  That being said if your child is involved in sports, band, drill team, cheerleading, etc there are fees associated with them.  My oldest DD is a Sophomore this year and is in band.  We have to pay $100 for band camp and $75 a year band fees.  At one point she was considering drill team and that costs a minimum of $600 but most of the parents said it ran more like $1000.  She decided against it because it would interfere with some of her honor classes and she is more focused on her acedemics rather than extracurricular. 

lakerfan420
by Jamie on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:50 AM
We're in Michigan (small suburb of Grand Rapids), no book fees or anything like that. A parking pass for the year is $20 and yearbooks are $75-95 depending on how early you order it. Some classes like cooking or science may have a small fee, anywhere from $5-$25 to cover extra supplies and labs. That fee is automatically waived for anyone receiving free or reduced meals though, as is $30 activity fee for any sports. The sports get costly when you add uniform/equipment costs, which vary from sport to sport, but the district is pretty good about helping the families who truly need it so that any kid who wants to participate can. Same with music and art extras, basic fees (I think orchestra and band were each around $50 for the year, not including trips) are waived, and we do extensive fundraising within the programs to accommodate kids who would otherwise not be able to participate, including non mandatory trips. Even the really costly stuff like marching band, which runs about a grand a year including mandatory travel costs and fees alone, we have scholarships available for the families that need them. After reading some of these replies, I'm feeling really blessed to live in the district that we do. Luckily this area has the resources and enough families that are well off enough to contribute, but sadly I know it's not like that in many districts. We had one high schooler last year and paid about $1500 in extra expenses, although a grand of that was for a Disney trip that the orchestra does every three years. (The good part is that trip won't happen until my current sophomore is a senior, the bad part is I'll have three kids in high school that year!) My niece did marching band, but got a $500 scholarship and the district even let my sister wait to pay her half until after she got her taxes done, well after marching band was over. I don't know many places where you will find that happening!
PurpleHazey
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Fees for what, going to school? is this private school? Here there are fees for sports or drivers ed but that is about it, taxes pay for public schools.

PurpleHazey
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting lakerfan420:

We're in Michigan (small suburb of Grand Rapids), no book fees or anything like that. A parking pass for the year is $20 and yearbooks are $75-95 depending on how early you order it. Some classes like cooking or science may have a small fee, anywhere from $5-$25 to cover extra supplies and labs. That fee is automatically waived for anyone receiving free or reduced meals though, as is $30 activity fee for any sports. The sports get costly when you add uniform/equipment costs, which vary from sport to sport, but the district is pretty good about helping the families who truly need it so that any kid who wants to participate can. Same with music and art extras, basic fees (I think orchestra and band were each around $50 for the year, not including trips) are waived, and we do extensive fundraising within the programs to accommodate kids who would otherwise not be able to participate, including non mandatory trips. Even the really costly stuff like marching band, which runs about a grand a year including mandatory travel costs and fees alone, we have scholarships available for the families that need them. After reading some of these replies, I'm feeling really blessed to live in the district that we do. Luckily this area has the resources and enough families that are well off enough to contribute, but sadly I know it's not like that in many districts. We had one high schooler last year and paid about $1500 in extra expenses, although a grand of that was for a Disney trip that the orchestra does every three years. (The good part is that trip won't happen until my current sophomore is a senior, the bad part is I'll have three kids in high school that year!) My niece did marching band, but got a $500 scholarship and the district even let my sister wait to pay her half until after she got her taxes done, well after marching band was over. I don't know many places where you will find that happening!

That is where I am at and I agree with you.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
$130. Doesn't include graduation things, pics, dances, etc. That's just school fees. I'm in Wisconsin.

Parking fee is separate.
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM

In a burb of Chicago here.  Here is the list of fees we paid so far for ds first two years.  It does not include band  camp, uniforms, etc...  It doesn't include football and lacrosse summer camps.   Field trips, athletic events, dances and more are all extra!  For this year, we need to add another lacrosse season and AP test.   It also does not include lunch fees. 

Registration $100.00 1-Jul-2012
Student Handbook $7.00 1-Jul-2012
Textbook Rental Fee $125.00 1-Jul-2012
Music Course Fee: Con Band 1 - S1 $10.00 1-Jul-2012
Physical Education Course Fee: Frosh PE 1 - S1 $10.00 1-Jul-2012
Science Course Fee: Biology H - S1 $20.00 1-Jul-2012
Music Course Fee: Con Band 1 - S2 $10.00 1-Jul-2012
Science Course Fee: Biology H - S2 $20.00 1-Jul-2012
Football Freshman $130.00 22-Aug-2012
Boys Lacrosse $130.00 14-Mar-2013
Yearbook $40.00 20-Jul-2012
Student Activity Pass $25.00 20-Jul-2012
Registration $100.00 12-Jul-2013
Student Handbook $7.00 12-Jul-2013
Driver's Ed Behind the Wheel - S1 $350.00 12-Jul-2013
Music Course Fee: Con Band 1 - S1 $10.00 12-Jul-2013
Science Course Fee: Chemistry H - S1 $20.00 12-Jul-2013
Music Course Fee: Con Band 1 - S2 $10.00 12-Jul-2013
Physical Education Course Fee: Soph PE - S2 $10.00 12-Jul-2013
Science Course Fee: Chemistry H - S2 $20.00 12-Jul-2013
Yearbook $40.00 22-Jul-2013
Fall Athletic Prepay $130.00 22-Jul-2013
Textbook Rental Fee $125.00 12-Jul-2013
Overpayment $0.00 1-Jan-2040
Total Paid: $1,449.00
huntersmom1007
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yes.  I didn't have parking fees and graduated 25 years ago.  Although my year was the last year that my town let school kids go off school grounds for lunch.  Also when I was 15 you could take drivers ed for $25 at the school.  It started going up after that year also. 

Quoting fammatthews4:

Really? I graduated 24 years ago and had to pay for parking.

Quoting huntersmom1007:

When did schools decide they could charge for every little thing.  I about fell out of my chair when she showed me the cost to park at the school.  I never paid for parking.  They even have levels.  I can't remember the prices but the first level is just to be able to drive to school and park in an open lot.  The second level was a reserved area closer to the school and the third most expensive was to get an assigned spot that you could paint on to make it personal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)