Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child goes to college?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 22 Replies

If your child goes to college, are you cosigning for their student loans?

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mt0130
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

We are paying most of his college expenses, but he does have a few loans that he is applying for on his own. Since he doesn't need to start paying them off until he is finished college (he is going into Sophomore year)  we will see what his and our finances are like to see if we can help him pay them off.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM
No, we are paying cash what isn't paid by her scholarship. Same with our 22 yo that is in massage therapy school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gabyangy
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

No we are not.  I have two right now in college and they have a full ride except during the summer.  During the summer I'm paying their rental apartment $1000 a month. I can't wait till September so I wouldn't have to pay till next June.  But to me it's worth it.  With my son who graduated we didn't pay an thing and he has about $10,000 in loans in his name.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

If they need it I have no issue with cosigning.  That being said my two oldest (to hard to tell about the little man yet) are very responsible and I wouldn't be concerned about them defaulting.  I have emphasized the importance of them keeping their GPA up and applying heavily for scholarships.  I am not financially able to pay for school for them.  I am still cleaning up the financial mess I was left to fix after my late husband passed away.  My oldest is currently rank #2 in her class.  Her guidance couselor is already talking with her about which scholarships to apply for when she is able too.  All that being said I have told them both if they go to school locally and commute they of course have free room and board and will cover things like clothes, food, car insurance, etc. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

we are giving each child 4 years, with the requirement of good grades and morals.  anything after that is theirs to pay for.

Ceremony
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM
We are co-signing when the time comes. First semester she had some money for.
We promise to help pay.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM

My Ds is going into his junior year and we are paying cash. We will also pay cash for my DD.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

No student loans.   My guys accepted the grants and scholarships offered, but no loans.   We pay what isn't covered from their college funds.

my4boys2002
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM
No loans he didn't get any financial aid either it's all cash
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

No... we will help with some living expenses and books, but they are responsible for covering their tuition.   If they get into a bind then we will help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)