Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you force your child to follow

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Ida
  • 35 Replies

your religion or do you allow them to decide what they believe for themselves.

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
5 moms liked this

We don't practice a religion, but we encourage our kids to learn about what others believe and make their own decision.

thatsamorex2
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Same...

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

We don't practice a religion, but we encourage our kids to learn about what others believe and make their own decision.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Yup, exactly the same too.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

GarysWife1991
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Dh and I are spiritual but we are not religious.  We want our kids to be able to make their minds up for themselves.  My 16 yr old says shes an atheist and my 13 yr old just started going to mass every sunday with her friend. 

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

We are active Methodist.They grow up in our church but in high school my 28 y.o. started attending a Presbyterian church with a close friend.I know he had a crush on a girl in the youth group.He liked it and attended there for the rest of h.s.except for bdays ,mothers day ,Easter.etc.I didn't care ,his choice.My daughter was close friends with a local girl at her college.The girl was her suite mate.She attended Mass with her all her years at that college.I didn't care.She currently attends Meth church ,there is an active college oriented one near her current campus .

When my oldest would have a PCS in the military there has always been a church near the base that really opens its arms wide to members of the military.He has joined or attended those churches with out concern to the denomination.

Our teens are active in our church but currently it is the popular one with the big youth group so we have kids from many denominations in the area attend our church...

I do my best to raise moral ,ethical ,considerate people .I feel for me raising them in my church helps me accomplish this .There comes a time around high school when ,where and if they go to church is up to them ,not my call .

sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Children cannot learn the true meaning of religion, unless they see it practiced.  If they see their parents practice religion FROM THE GETGO, they will have a foundation to build upon, or question, as the case may be, when they are mature enough to make those intellectual decisions. 

We were born Roman Catholic, and practiced our religion with our parents untill we graduated school.  We came back to everyday practice of our religion when our kids were born, and continued with them till the end of high school.  At that point, what they did was up to them, but we knew they had a spiritual foundation.  Their SO's are the same way.  And the one who married and had a child, is back to everyday practice. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Our kids have grown up in our church. We have always been pretty active and the kids have done youth through HS my 2 oldest and my 15 year old as well now. I have never "forced" it's just what we do as a family. My oldest SD is 26 now and attends a similar church where she lives 800 miles away. My DS is going to be a junior in college. He goes to church with us when he's home. They do have church groups on his college campus but so far he says they are over top no interest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Our kids go to mass every week and attend PSR every Wed.  My DD is president of the church youth group.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

We attend a congregational church as a family.  My daughter attended willingly, but my son has been more resistant.  He will attend confirmation classes, but he will decide whether or not to be confirmed.  

My daughter will be attending a catholic university, and I would not be surprised is she attended mass.

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL your son just hasn't found the right....free food ....church yet LOL

Our 28 y.o attend the same college we did.Several churches sent/send nice shuttles around campus and the apt. complexes near campus.Hop on for 9:45 service and pancake ,eggs ,bacon etc...lol....catch the shuttle for the 11:00 or 5:30 service and pizza ,fried chicken etc...lol...

Seriously during college this is how my husband and friends as well as our son and friends picked church...first shuttle that passed.

Your son is just looking for the wrong reasons to attend...spiritual enlightenment vs free food ; )    hahaha

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Our kids have grown up in our church. We have always been pretty active and the kids have done youth through HS my 2 oldest and my 15 year old as well now. I have never "forced" it's just what we do as a family. My oldest SD is 26 now and attends a similar church where she lives 800 miles away. My DS is going to be a junior in college. He goes to church with us when he's home. They do have church groups on his college campus but so far he says they are over top no interest

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)