Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you force your child to follow

Posted by   + Show Post

your religion or do you allow them to decide what they believe for themselves.

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

we dont "force" them.... but had them go to the catholic church and all the classes through communion.  If they grow up and choose another path that is fine.

steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I am not an overly religious person and neither is my husband. However, my boys have been going to church and sunday school for most of their lives.  I teach sunday school, and the main reason that I teach is to ensure that I get my butt out of bed and make my boys go.  lol  If I wasn't obligated to be there, they'd be skipping a lot.

Once they are grown, they can do whatever they choose.  I fear my grandmother haunting me for the rest of my days, so I make sure hat my kids go.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Lol that's prob true! The way to my DS's heart is through his stomach! Esp this year, today as a matter of fact he and 3 friends are sooo excited as they are all moving into a house off campus. The last 2 years he has lived in the dorms and all you can eat food plan has been bonus. Hope he can stay on food budget this year lol!

Quoting drfink:

LOL your son just hasn't found the right....free food ....church yet LOL

Our 28 y.o attend the same college we did.Several churches sent/send nice shuttles around campus and the apt. complexes near campus.Hop on for 9:45 service and pancake ,eggs ,bacon etc...lol....catch the shuttle for the 11:00 or 5:30 service and pizza ,fried chicken etc...lol...

Seriously during college this is how my husband and friends as well as our son and friends picked church...first shuttle that passed.

Your son is just looking for the wrong reasons to attend...spiritual enlightenment vs free food ; )    hahaha

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Our kids have grown up in our church. We have always been pretty active and the kids have done youth through HS my 2 oldest and my 15 year old as well now. I have never "forced" it's just what we do as a family. My oldest SD is 26 now and attends a similar church where she lives 800 miles away. My DS is going to be a junior in college. He goes to church with us when he's home. They do have church groups on his college campus but so far he says they are over top no interest

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Dh grew up Catholic, and I did Baptist. Never pushed either on our kids. They have gone to church with grandparents and friends some. That is about it. Dd 19 went to a Methodist school for 3 years too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM

He makes his own decisions.

SuperLooneyMom
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM
My background includes Mormon and Christian
My spouse is Methodist

Because I believe in various religions and ways of a new life I choose not to be baptized.

Our kids are baptized Methodists. We go when we can, and we help the church a lot thru our Boy Scout troop. No we don't force but they go when we go. A hour for a month doesn't kill them and they do service time.
TJFBGMommy
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I'm Lutheran and my husband is Assmblies of God.  My kids are baptized at birth, go through confirmation and attend my Lutheran church on holidays. The rest of the year we attend my husbands chuch.  My kids enjoy going for the most part.  Whatever they decide to do as adults will be fine with me.

avaandemmasmom
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

This... Without the Roman Catholic part...

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Children cannot learn the true meaning of religion, unless they see it practiced.  If they see their parents practice religion FROM THE GETGO, they will have a foundation to build upon, or question, as the case may be, when they are mature enough to make those intellectual decisions. 

We were born Roman Catholic, and practiced our religion with our parents untill we graduated school.  We came back to everyday practice of our religion when our kids were born, and continued with them till the end of high school.  At that point, what they did was up to them, but we knew they had a spiritual foundation.  Their SO's are the same way.  And the one who married and had a child, is back to everyday practice. 

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this.  We are practicing Lutherans and we don't tell our children that they HAVE to go we say that we GET to go church.  Many people do not have the freedom to worship as they choose and we do.  Once they are adults it is up to them whether they want to continue following Christ or not.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Children cannot learn the true meaning of religion, unless they see it practiced.  If they see their parents practice religion FROM THE GETGO, they will have a foundation to build upon, or question, as the case may be, when they are mature enough to make those intellectual decisions. 

We were born Roman Catholic, and practiced our religion with our parents untill we graduated school.  We came back to everyday practice of our religion when our kids were born, and continued with them till the end of high school.  At that point, what they did was up to them, but we knew they had a spiritual foundation.  Their SO's are the same way.  And the one who married and had a child, is back to everyday practice. 

MusherMaggie
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM
We also are Roman Catholic and brought our children up in the Church as their home. They received excellent education in their faith at home, in school, as well as in church. They are both still Catholic at 21 & 25, now sharing that faith with others.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)