Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you force your child to follow

Posted by   + Show Post

your religion or do you allow them to decide what they believe for themselves.

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
lucky3x
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I have had friends whose parents did not practice any religion but encouraged their children to chose. both of my friends said that this was the worst thing their parents could have done. They said that they have absolutely no concept of religion and therefore could not "choose."
butzi
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM
We are devout Roman Catholic. My oldest son attends a catholic high school and is very active in the faith. My younger son is not anti religious, but had some serious issues with the Church. He discussed them rationally and asked permission to not participate. We have allowed him that personal freedom because he acted in a mature fashion. It is not that I agree with his understanding of the teachings. It is that he is an intelligent independent person who needs the space to work things out for himself
county_mom
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

My husband was raised Mormon and I was raised PresbyterianHe left his church do to he didn't believe in the ways of the Mormons and I didn't care for how the Presbyterians interpreted the bible.  We both did the research on religion and came to the conclusion that organized religion died with Jesus on the cross. We hold bible reading when we have time once a week or more when we need it and what the verse means to each one of us since our children were little. Now our oldest is Christen, our middle is Buddhist, and our youngest is spiritual trying to find out what religion work with him. 

JessicaEmlaw
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

This

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

We don't practice a religion, but we encourage our kids to learn about what others believe and make their own decision.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

This.

My husband and I have our own beliefs but we don't push them on others including our kids.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

We don't practice a religion, but we encourage our kids to learn about what others believe and make their own decision.

Jamie-82
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

We are a Cathollic family but our children are well educated on other religions. We have allowed our 19, 17 and 15 year olds to chose what they believe but asked that they simply respect our beliefs when they're in our home and around their siblings. We do not force our religion upon them.

jojo_star
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Force? No, of course not. We aren't religious as a family, my husband is Christian, but does not believe in organised religion, I am Wiccan. My daughter is currently learning my religion, at her request. Our other children just aren't interested, and that is fine with us.
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I raised my son with faith and a belief in God. Not necessarily a religion. There is a difference. I was raised in the Catholic Church but don't follow everything they "require" me to. My son can decide on his own what he feels.
bcauseimthemom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

They have all decided for themselves.

JessicaR7
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

My thing was always to expose my children to religion and allow them to make up their own minds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)