Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you force your child to follow

Posted by   + Show Post

your religion or do you allow them to decide what they believe for themselves.

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Replies (31-35):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I see  letting them choose as letting your kids know that there are several types of books, but not bringing them to the library and letting them see for themselves.  I have always been a practicing Lutheran.  Dh is Catholic.  We had a deal when we married that we would be married in the Lutheran church and the kids would be raised Lutheran.  We have gone to his church as well,.  I did make my kids attend and go through confirmation classes.  I did not make them get confirmed, but if they choose not to not to do it, I wanted them to know what they were walking away from!!

MzScorpio227
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

We don't practice a religion, but we encourage our kids to learn about what others believe and make their own decision.

We would have them bow their heads at the table before eating. We assume that they're saying their prayers. We don't go to church, because I was raised as a Roman Catholic and my DH was raised as a Baptist. Overall, we want our children to make their own choices.

bascha
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM
DH and I are Pagan. All told, we have 4 kids between us. At the moment, one seems to be Christian, two are interested in Paganism, and one is Agnostic. I don't think that faith should be forced on anyone. They can make their own choices.
foxymomof4
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM

We are active catholics we go to church every sunday and attend other services when possible, all my kids go to a catholic school not only by choice but also cause the school I have around are not good at all.My Husband is a member of Knights of Colombus a group made of only men who help around the church,community and other things.I use to be a cathechist and my son is a altar server (by choice).To us is not as much about the religion but more about teaching our kids that the world does not revolve around them and make sure they have morals and values and respect for the human life.We also want them to know ho good it feels to help other and that material things are not that important.when they get older and choose or feel more comfortable and at peace somewhere else they are free to attend that place all we want is for them to be happy but still have those same values,morals and respect for human life.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

This is interesting...we are Jewish and have always attended services with our children, although not on a weekly basis.  There are tons of Jewish holidays and we attend then, and for bar and bat mitzvahs, baby-namings, etc., and occasionally 'just because we haven't been in awhile.' We don't force them to go and if they have other plans that's okay (unless it is an important holiday). My two oldest (16 and 14) were both bat mitzvah'd and the youngest (almost 9) will also be.  None of them have ever expressed an interest in attending services at another place of worship.  My 16 year old actually was dumped a few months ago by a boy she really cared for, because his family (Methodist) was extremely religious and he finally decided he couldn't see a future with a Jewish girl. I'm pretty sure if she would've given any indication that she would be willing to consider changing religions, he would've stuck around, but she never even considered it, even though her heart was completely broken.  I suppose our religion has become a part of their own personal identities.  I suppose if your children feel 'forced,' then that's a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN