Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

He is packing

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi Moms,

I have written a number of posts here and the responses have helped so much. However, I am NOT computer savvy and although I try, I can't quite figure out who these go to, or how to reply individually, etc.

I just came home feeling great from my last surgical appointment, very upbeat. When I came inside I peeked into Nathan's room to see if he was home. He has been extremely mad at my husband and I for a few days (the worst ever) and when I looked in his room, his immpecably decorated (by him) room was just an empty shell. A few boxes packed, etc.

The feeling that came over me was so powerful and unexpected that it about knocked me over. I don't know why it is so, so strong this time (5 older ones have moved out over the years - no biggie). And quite frankly, it will be a relief when he does move out because our relationship is very strained right now. He is supposed to leave for Job Corp in a few weeks, but he cannot take all the stuff he has packed there. It will still be his room for the stuff he isnt alowed to bring, and for when he comes home for holidays.

I am not writing about him at this point - I am writing to hear from others who have gone though this. Because I am not even sure why I am crying. Why would getting a shock of seeing his room which was a fiesta of his personality turned suddenly clean, empty and basically vacant, hit me like this?

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It's normal, and it does get better. I once cried while making french fries, cause I realized I didn't have to make as much lol.

deb51980
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

It would be wrenching even if moving out was a planned, positive thing.

Put aside the thought that you failed as a mother.  Job Corps sounds like something positive.

Discussing the manner of moving out should come with any overture of moving back in.  Bad manners there in moving out....very much burning bridges behind.  Take him  back in the house by all means but not without his committing to a few rules.

02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

If it is the last one that is moving out maybe it hit you that it will be just you and your husband and there are no more kids at home to need you.  It is a loss to not be needed as much but if they have moved out and are doing good be proud of the job you did raising them.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Yep most difficult thing for me was taking down 3 plates instead of 4 for dinner when my DS left for college 2 years ago.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

It's normal, and it does get better. I once cried while making french fries, cause I realized I didn't have to make as much lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Hang in there it will get easier
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss_Mandy80
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

lol. This will be me when my son moves out for the first time. =/

I am NOT looking foward to that.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Miss_Mandy80
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I am sorry you are feeling so heartbroken. Right now I can only imagine how you feel about him moving out. But as a Mama, I can feel that pain with you. They say time heals everything, I hope it works quickly for you, Hun. 

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

You're crying because you're a normal human being. 

wearymoon
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Maybe this is why, his room WAS a fiesta of his personality turned suddenly clean, empty and basically vacant. You weren't ready to see that.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I'm not there yet, all of mine are still at home but I imagine that I will be pretty upset when they start to move out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)