Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Don't get my 13 yo daughter ...

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM
  • 7 Replies
I understand my dd will rebel and try to be the opposite of me what I don't get is why she is so hateful to all of us. Mostly me. She will say the meanest things and now she wants to be raised by her older sibs. She is #6 of 8 so I know teen issues, but I ha e never had one seem to hate me so bad. She hates when we go out to dinner which we do alot. She hates that we have annual passes to Disney because she doesn't want to spend the time with us. From the smallest activity like going swimming to just being with her family seems to piss her off. I have wondered about abuse by someone, and asked her, says no, I always tell her I would do anything for her, and bow much I love her and how much we need her in our family, but she only seems to hate.this. Any one have any ideas? Oh, I am getting her in therapy but I was hoping for some understanding for myself as well.
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Does she have fancy electronics or phones? What is her favorite thing matierial wise or time wise?

lakerfan420
by Jamie on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Maybe ask her what she wants to do as a family? Perhaps if she gets a say (within reason) she'll be more likely to participate. Idk if you're in CA or FL (you mentioned Disney passes), but if CA maybe try Magic Mountain instead. All three of my older kids (15, 13 and 11) prefer MM over Disneyland because of the rides. And it could just be the age, I know at that age hanging out with my parents wasn't 'cool' to me. Looking back I'm glad my dad made me do something with him one day out of the weekend, but kind of resentful that my mom didn't. They divorced when I was 12 and I told my mom basically to leave me alone. She listened, when deep down I just wanted her to want me around. But part of that is also related to how I felt when they divorced, as I knew my mom pushed for it.
Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Is the hate something new for your daughter? Do you know if there was any kind of event or underlying reason that brought it on? Has she been bullied at school?

MrsBLB
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Hugs.  I was thinking the same as the other replies.

promom
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM

She was bullied for a brief time in 1st grade, and because of that among other things, they are homeschooled now. She said she doesn't remember it.

The only electronics she is interested in is the computer. She does drawings on the computer.

Yes the older ones are over Mickey, I just used that as an example of what we try to do for the kids. I had a crappy childhood and my dh wasn't real happy with his either, so we have tried to make sure our kids have a different one to remember.

I get brattiness or teen attitude, but the anger issues are more than I have ever had with the rest of the kids.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Does she have social interaction with kids her own age?  Friends, not family?      Maybe she is feeling isolated and trying to find her identity outside of family?  

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Does she have social interaction with kids her own age?  Friends, not family?      Maybe she is feeling isolated and trying to find her identity outside of family?  

I was wondering this too. Does she belong to any clubs or sports organizations? Does she have a hobby (maybe some kind of art) as an outlet?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN