Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How to Survive the First Week of College

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

How to Survive the First Week of College

by Ericka Sóuter

dorm roomRight about now, thousands of teens are headed off to college for the first time. No doubt we parents have equipped them with just about everything they need -- sheets, desk lamps, laptops, and even credit cards. But there is one other crucial thing your teen will need to survive. Take a look at the 6 rules for the first week of college. Ignoring these could (negatively) affect the rest of her year!

1. Don't get wasted. You have plenty of time to party over the next four years. You don't want the first impression to be that you're a sloppy drunk.

2. Don't write anyone off. So your next door neighbor comes off kinda like a bitch. It could be nerves. Everyone is tense in those first few weeks. Give her the benefit of the doubt. She could end up becoming your best friend.

3. Don't brag. Boasting about anything -- from the brand of clothes you MUST have to your car -- is a no-no. It's annoying and won't win you any friends.

4. Don't roam around alone late at night. It's easy to feel a false sense of security on a picturesque campus. But keep in mind the golden rule -- there is safety in numbers.

5. Don't hide in your room. So what if you weren't cool in high school. This is a time to reinvent yourself. You can be anyone you want and that could mean turning your wallflower personality into a social butterfly.

6. Don't miss classes. Sleeping in is tempting, especially without mom there to force you out of bed. But you don't want to start off on the wrong foot with your professors.

What other rules should a freshmen follow during the first week?

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Very true!!!  I like the last two the most!!!

Ceremony
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Thank you for info.  I hear that joining clubs/activities is a good idea.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
#2 my dd's roommate was a bitch all year. Sometimes first impressions are sadly how they are too. 4 and 6 for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bertieb
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Try not to go home too much. Other people are establishing friendships and activities on the weekends and if you aren't around you will soon be and feel left out.

Be courteous to your roommate and don't leave your stuff all over the floor and dirty dishes in the sink unless living like slobs is mutually agreed upon! And, don't eat their food!

Photocopy everything in your wallet before you leave home in case it is stolen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)