Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Open Campus rules

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 41 Replies

We just finished getting open campus for my junior in high school.Open campus is offered to juniors and seniors for lunch.

Wow they have tightened it up over the years...a very good thing...at least I thinks so   ;  ) .Now two ids are issued after application is accepted ,the off campus on is a distinctive color.Forget it and it is 20 dollars to get a different one ...in other words tough ,stay on campus. It is now connected to the schools computer system so it can be removed  from 48 hours to the rest of the year for many reasons grades ,behavior ,not attending a school required tutorial,tardiness ...lots.It also required a notarized form with a parents signature.Think these regulations are great.

6 yrs ago just a signature was required and there were stickers.12 yrs ago just forms were signed.

Oh ya if you have a car in the parking lot ,he does ,all student cars leaving during lunch have to have a open campus sticker.W e requested and received stickers for all the cars just in case.

I chatted with the attendance office clerk.She said the main issue had been tardies coming back from lunch.Disturbed classes too much.Now that it is so easy to track starting a couple of years ago the lunch tardies dropped to almost none.

Does your school have off campus lunch ?

If it does is there an age or year requirement ?

What are your schools regulations concerning open campus?

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Must be a junior or senior, maintain a C average, no discipline issues. Parental permission. It can be revoked by the parent or school at anytime. To get it back, the student has to get ALL his/her teachers to sign, plus the principal, counselor and parents.
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

We have open campus for all grades except the first half of freshman year.  In fact other than Jr High, kids can go home for lunch.  We live by the grammar and high school, so my kidsalways came home for lunch when they were little and at times in high school.  They have to show an ID to get back in.  I have no idea about the parking thing, since we live too close anyway.

PurpleHazey
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM

We had that here but now it is changed to closed. I like it closed!

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Closed campus here
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM
No where to drive to. Closed campus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I believe ours is a closed campus.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Ours is open campus, and until a few years ago it was okay to take your cars. That's the only thing they stopped. The kids go to the store, the taco stand or the bar/sorda restaurant (the kids like to play pool), but those are really the only options lol. Short of some churches and the post office, oh and another bar. That's all there is.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM

WOW never heard of closed campus. Kids come and go all day from the highschool. If you have spares you just come in for the classes and you leave when your done. Lunch you just do as you please.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM

My Ds had an open campus at the small HS in the small town we lived in all 4 years when he graduated in 2011. My Dd is going to be a soph at a large HS 1800 kids and it's a closed campus.

jadedcynic
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The campus I went to high school at was open, except that you couldn't take your car out during lunch. If you wanted off campus, you had to walk. Since the school was in the middle of nowhere, nobody went anywhere for lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)