Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some things are better left unfound

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son left to college today. Over the weekend we finishing cleaning out his room that we are converting. We were moving his desk to the guest room, but I removed the drawers to make it easier to carry. I dropped one of the drawers and all the contents fell out. Among the the things that fell out were condoms. 

I picked it up and just looked at it, then at him. He just shrugged at me and smiled. Yeah, I appreciate him being safe and by no means am I a prude, BUT we were cleaning out his room because he is going off to college and leaving the nest. I was seeing him as my little boy and not a young man about to start his life. It just momentarily threw me for a loop and made me realize that 1. my baby is all grown up and 2. I shouldve let him clean out his room on his own..lol

Has anyone ever found something in their kids room that they wished was left unfound?

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deb51980
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Yep, he is now a big boy.

My son is 12 y/o.  His private life is beginning.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Not really. Knew my 22 yo was sexually active after 19. Her closet is still not cleaned out and it is mostly stuffed animals, lol. She took all her crap to her apt. 19 yo still is at home in summers. Do not clean her room. Well, not that way. Just clean her bath and vacumn and dust. My 22 yo tells me more than I wanna know anyone. Girls are more open than boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Dd is 19 and we just redid her room, we did not find anything. She is a great college kid.  Ds is 15.  We did his room last year and found nothing.  I guess I would be relieved he has condoms, but I would be very disappointed that he would be acting in ways he would need them at all.  He sits next to me in church every week and I hope that some of that would sink in!!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I've never found anything like that, but knew when my 20 year old DS was sexually active so I guess it wouldn't have been a surprise if I did.

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Not like that but I'm sure it was there when my older ones were in college.

I found out for sure about my son and his gf while he was in college.Our younger son's had a weekend cub scout camp out at boy scout camp ground 30 minutes away from his college.We had agreed to come to his college town and we would all go to brunch .I call him as we are leaving the campgrounds and his gfpicks up his phone,she was awake already ,answers ,we chat a moment and she wakes him up.His grade school brothers were in the car so my husband and I couldn't talk about it at all.It was sooooo hard.LOL

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Does food items count?   My oldest son is a mess.   His room is a pigpen and I rarely enter, but I have found trash, empty pop cans, old food wrappers...and even leftover food.   Yuck!

The condoms don't bother me...  I have bought condoms for them.   I know they are sexually active, so no surprise there.  

moobahlalala
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Sometimes I wish my teen wasn't so open with me. Sometimes she'll just say something and I have to plug my ears and start singing "lalala I can't hear you lalala!"

It's good that she feels comfortable to open up with me, but sometimes I know she just says things to get a reaction out of me. At least it gets her to laugh.
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:23 AM

They grow to fast.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Quoting drfink:

Not like that but I'm sure it was there when my older ones were in college.

I found out for sure about my son and his gf while he was in college.Our younger son's had a weekend cub scout camp out at boy scout camp ground 30 minutes away from his college.We had agreed to come to his college town and we would all go to brunch .I call him as we are leaving the campgrounds and his gfpicks up his phone,she was awake already ,answers ,we chat a moment and she wakes him up.His grade school brothers were in the car so my husband and I couldn't talk about it at all.It was sooooo hard.LOL

awww, you had to know that this does happen

ForeverLawst
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Did he look at you like "Oops, I was supposed to pack those!"?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)