Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was your teen's first job??

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 24 Replies
Did they get the job on their own?
Did they do a good job?
How old were they??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moobahlalala
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Still working on that one. She does go down to the diner every so often to help out with her grandma, though.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

My oldest was 16 and he got a part time position at a Home Improvement Store.    He had some help.  His Dad is a contractor and knew everyone at the store, so when our son applied, DH told the manager that his son had applied and he arranged for him to be interviewed.

My younger son worked at Jack in the Box for a couple weeks at age 18.  He got the job on his own.  

sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Both my kids started babysitting around 12, and both got fulltime daycare jobs in summer, while parents worked, when they were 14. One sat for friends, another sat for a music teacher. They also cooked and did light housekeeping. They had been sitting for several years by that time, and had good references.  They kept those jobs until they found year round jobs when they turned 16.

Older dd's first "regular"  job was at a "Natural Wonders" store at the mall.  She found the job by herself, kept that for a few years, working her way up to asst. mgr, then the store went out of business.  She got a job as a barista at Borders, which she kept till she graduated college, and began teaching full time.

Younger dd's first job was at a local rib pit we frequented.  She heard they were hiring, and she got the job.  She worked there till she was 20, and was a supervisor the last couple years.  After she graduated HS, she ALSO worked pt time as a receptionist for a local lawyer.  He tacked up a note on a jobs board at the CC, and she applied because she was taking legal assisting in school.  She worked both jobs till she found a full time legal job.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM

My dd got her first job when she was 16. She was a busser/hostess at a local restaurant. She did do a good job, the restaurant closed so she found another job.

littlelamb303
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

How did your 16 yr olds find jobs?  Every place around here want you to be at least 18(I am on Long Island).  It is not necessary that she gets a job right now, but when I was 16, it was a lot easier, but that was 33 yrs ago. Hopefully by next summer, when she is 17 she will find something part time.  I don't want her working too much during the school year and she dances as well.

littlelamb303
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

My oldest was 16 and he got a part time position at a Home Improvement Store.    He had some help.  His Dad is a contractor and knew everyone at the store, so when our son applied, DH told the manager that his son had applied and he arranged for him to be interviewed.

My younger son worked at Jack in the Box for a couple weeks at age 18.  He got the job on his own.  

yes, it definitely helps when you know someone to get you in there. It seems the only way to go, especially since

most places here will not hire anyone under 18. 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Mine were technically adults. My husband got my son his (and my DD's boyfriend) and my DD found hers. The one in beauty school doesn't work yet.

Jamie-82
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM

My daughter who is now 17 got her first job at age 15 working at the movies. 

DH and I were at the movies one night when we saw the job advertised, so we let her know about it but the rest she did by herself. 

She did a great job and enjoyed working there. She left the job after a couple of months as she was able to get a better job working with sports, which is something she loves. She still works there now!

I have another daughter who is currently age 15 and in the middle of applying for jobs. She is waiting to hear back about being a server in a restaurant so we are keeping our fingers crossed for her!

justamomma2
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM

My 16 year old son got his first job this summer as a life guard.  He took a class and got certified, nailed the interview all on his own and only had my help filling out the online application.  He did a great job, and was lifeguard of the week, the first week on the job.  It was a hard job and was full time.  We didn't anticipating it being full time, but he didn't quit, he stuck it out!

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM

DS number 1 first job was a security guard, DS number 2 was working at a tool and die factory where he was doing co-op, DD was babysitting then working at Weedman doing door to door sales, DS nuber 4 is still unemployed. Jobs are getting harder and harder for teens to find when even Mc Donalds hires adults because the unemployment pool is so large

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)