Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Did you take a typing class in high school?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 42 Replies

I went to the 9th grade orientation this morning. During the parents Question and Answer portion at the end, a mother asked if the high school offers a typing class. The answer is no it doesn't.

The students are expected to type everything for the English class...everything. I took a typing class in high school and I can type 50 words per minute like the mother who asked the question. My son two finger types just like her son which is not the way we learned in high school.  Not fast enough to type four page assignments every night for homework.

1. Do you know of any online typing programs?

2. Did you take a typing class in high school?

3. Does your child's middle/high school offer a typing class?

typing

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine had keyboarding in grade school and early middle school so they learned it in school. Not sure about a program. The school had one. I would search for one on Amazon maybe.
I took typing. I type 50 wpm too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Our district offers a Keyboarding/Technology class to the elementary school students and middle school students... but it doesn't teach the students typing skills - not the ones I learned in high school.

It makes me angry that the students are expected to type everything, but not offered a class to teach them basic typing skills.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Dancemat typing is free online..its geared.for.kids so I can see a high schooler thinking it is babyish but I even had fun with it.

Mavis Beacon is good. You can get it at Target or any of the office depot type stores. I think it was $15-20ish. My older DS liked it.
Roo1234
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I took typing as a summer school class before middle school. it was something I wanted to do because I was interested in learning to write code and it was helpful.

our kids started learning typing in 3rd grade because it is a needed skill in this day and age.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

The typing class that I took is nothing like the typing class offered today in the elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools.

FindersKeepers
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM

My class (1994) was the last year that my HS required typing as a graduation requirement.   They got rid of Drivers Ed and Typing the same year.   My dad was livid saying "they are getting rid of the only two classes people actually NEED!"    I had already taken both so it didn't effect me, but my now HS senior did not have to take either.  We paid for driving classes to get an insurance discount and although I begged him to take typing as an elective, he did not since it is LAME.   My younger one has decided to teach herself to type with a program we bought. 

Short Answer:  Yes they offer it, but the kids don't have to take it.

sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Yes I took typing, and so did my dh, in HS.  Typing -keyboarding actually- was offered as an after school enrichment class in middle school, which was where both my kids took it.  Younger dd just loved it, and looked up programs on line to help her build up speed and accuracy, and by 8th grade, she was typing for the school paper.  She ended up being a legal secretary/admin asst, and types about 100 wpm.

jowen905
by Jan on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM

My son's in middle school - no typing class offered.  I had typing in high school.  You might want to try FreeTypingGame.net.

Our local junior college offers a 4 week typing program for middle schoolers, I'll probably be enrolling him in that!

littlelamb303
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM

They should have been working on keyboarding long before HS(in the schools). I am surprised they did not in his school.   I know they start working on keyboarding in my district in the early elementary grades(kindergarten) 
Yes, I took typing in HS, but that was over 30 yrs ago.  It was on an old manual typewriter.  They got rid of those type of classes years ago.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I learned typing in middle school. 

My son had some typing classes on and off in elementary school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN