Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do any of your teens have part time jobs?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 16 yr old has been filling out applications.  Most places want their workers to be 18, and there seem to be only a few that will hire them younger.  When I was that age, I could just walk into a place and be hired on the spot, but that was over 30 yrs ago.  Different economy, different times.   I was watching her fill out a long questionaire from McDonalds.  They asked about her grades, work ethic, how she treated people, etc... I don't remember fast food places being so picky back then.

What kind of job does your teen have?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlelamb303
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM

BUMP!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM

My dd got her first job at 16. She was a busser and hostess at a local restaurant. The restaurant closed about a year or so later. She then worked as a cashier at Sheetz but hated it. She currently works at Friendly's as a server and fountain person.

askmommy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Don't forget about the upscale restaurants. Many hire dishwashers, food peppers that are teens. What about retail? Grocery store?
littlelamb303
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Quoting askmommy:

Don't forget about the upscale restaurants. Many hire dishwashers, food peppers that are teens. What about retail? Grocery store?

yes, she has applied at a few grocery stores already.  I am just hoping that  by next summer she will get something.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Mine's not quite old enough yet, but we do know that when the time comes he'll be able to get work at the diner where he virtually grew up.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM
No my kids at that age ( still have a dd that will be a soph in a few weeks) don't work. They have school and sports as their full time jobs. My SD did babysit as does my 15 year old occasionally. My DS was a tutor very part time in the summer and school year before college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmm1234
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM
My DD has been lucky - she is 17 and a rising senior. She has been babysitting since 14/15 and still does on occasion. This Summer she lifeguarded at a pool and also worked as a camp counselor teaching kids to play lax. She loved it! She also got a side job giving swimming lessons to a little boy she babysits for. She has been able to save a lot this Summer.

My 15 yr old DS didn't work this Summer nor did I expect him to. He will also get his cert to lifeguard and will likely do that next Summer.
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM

My kids always had PT jobs starting at age 12. They babysat a child after school for 2 hours a day. By 14 they worked for a catering company. They did retail and catering all through HS.

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM

not during school.They were CITs at the month long camp they attend after their soph year.

BelleVernonGirl
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Mine both work at the restaurant that I work at..they both do dishes but the one just recently got bumped up to waitress 2 days a week...in those 2 days (fri and sat) she makes more than I do...how freakin sad is that....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)