Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 16 year old needs help

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 29 Replies

My 16 year old son Kevin needs help,he was hit hard yesterday.My mother in law passed away yesterday morning and he was hit hard hearing the news.Kevin has not himself ever since,my mother in law was there for him and he said that she was a great step grandmother.Luckily my father is a consouler for helping people losing someone,he has talked to Kevin.Plus a couple of my friends have told me about a support group for teens losing a loved one in their life.I am getting concerned,my father has a friend that is a therapist working with teens losing a loved one and I am going to call her on Monday.Luckily I am welcomed in by this therapist in the sessions.

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this
If it just happened, he needs time to work through it like anyone would. Unfortunately, death is a part of life and everyone has to deal in their own way and time. Many deal fine. Others need some help dealing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexisb3
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

My father told him that he needs to work through it.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I am sorry for your family's loss.
alexisb3
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

My mother in law was 57,dead of a heart attack.Was pronounced dead on the scene when she came in the hospital

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM
My dad died at 59 from a heart attack. Took a long time to work through it. I was 23. Over time, you heal. The shock of it takes a year really to deal with.

Quoting alexisb3:

My mother in law was 57,dead of a heart attack.Was pronounced dead on the scene when she came in the hospital

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

Keep in mind that everyone processes the cycle/stages of grief differently. He is going to need time to get through this. It sounds like you have some good things in place (people to talk to)  to help him along.

dawncs
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Have you tried the school counselor or guidance office? They would have a list of resources to help your son through his grief. Always remind him that his great memories of her will be there for him when he needs it most in life to remember her.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM
If it happened yesterday you have no idea how much better he may be in a week or 2 even. He is just in shock. Let him work through it and see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It is very recent and sudden.He also hasn't ,hopefully ,had much of this type of loss in his life so it is new .He needs time and support.His way of handling his grief may be different than yours and it is ok.

It isn't so much people work through the loss of a loved one ,but more they are able to enjoy the good of life and both smile and cry when remembering their loved one.Few people can ever smile at the death of someone they loved but more they are able to remember and FEEL the good times also.That can take time for the happy to outweigh the pain.

Sorry for your family.

alexisb3
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

He knows my husband and I are there for support including his bio father.My father's friend Renee is a therapist working with teens losing a loved one.My father said she does a great job and listens.The funeral home has a grief consoler on hand to talk to

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)