Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bedtime for a 14 yr old

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 34 Replies
My dd is about to start school soon and I was wondering What time should a 14 year old go to bed on school nights?
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
In HS mine were at 9 and asleep by 9:30. They were up just before 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I think it depend son the child. I'm the kind of person that doesn't do bedtimes at that age If they can prove they are responsible. If they can get up on time and not be cranky then they can be responsible for picking a bed time.

Saphira1207
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I set up bedtimes to maximize the number of hours of sleep.  My 15 yo needs 10-11 hours but there's no way for him to get that much during the school year.

We agreed (I believe in giving them some say since it's their body and they know it better than anyone.) that bedtime is at 9.  He'll likely get to sleep around 10 and be up around 6-6:30am.  We did this last year too.

CampClan
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My 4 younger kids are sent to bed at 8pm because they tend to goof off for about an hour before actually settling down. My 14 is one of them (only my 17yo doesn't have a bed time because he plays soccer & is sometimes out until 10 or 11 on game nights).

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

It depends .My rule of thumb is they need to get relatively easily and alert in the morning.They get up at 6:30.My junior ,16 ,needs more sleep and when LAX season is in swing he is asleep before 10.My soph is different and he is able to sleep about 7 or 7/12 hours and be full speed.He has needed less sleep than his siblings have always.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Every child is different. Mine had to be in their rooms at 9, but could do what they wanted, and they weren't hard to wake up in the morning. If they were I would have set an actual bedtime.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM
My kids at that age have to be alert and awake on the am. Many times during club volleyball season practice isn't over until 10 and then it's a half hour drive home so really no specific bed time. My kids were always good about going to bed when tired once they got into swing of things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I could send my DD to bed at 9pm and she would stay up until 1am and then be a grouch all day - and then the cycle would repeat itself - I found that if I sent her to her ROOM at 9 - she was more likely to think that she was in more contro than I was l and fall asleep at a earlier hour - so we haven't had a actual bedtime in ages for her - my 10yo, and 8yo's are in bed at 8 - the 10yo falls straight asleep whereas the girls can be up until 10pm playing and giggling >.> I really wish I could seperate them but right now there's no appropriate way to do so.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I don't give bed times at that age. My DD has so much going on and she knows her body. She has sports, homework and clubs so many times it's after 10pm but on nights she is home early she might be off to bed by 8pm. 

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:24 AM

My 14 year old will have to be in bed by 10pm on school nights. IF he has trouble getting up or in school at all it will be moved earlier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)