Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 14yr old has been acting like a different kid :(

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:09 AM
  • 11 Replies

Her name is chelsey she is a great kid but omg these last few months  she is did a total turn around i can say she dont run around not haveing sex she dont hide stuff or any thing a kid her age could be doing but her attitude has changed and she is kinda hateful to her brother he is 9 and she always has been real close too him iam at a lost love her to to pieces but wow iam clueless.....

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Justme914
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:10 AM

BUMP!

CampClan
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Must be that age. Because my almost 14yo has all of a sudden started lying to her cousin, been super mean to her 12 yo sister, & been down right disrespectful to me.

Last night she started punching her younger sister over a pair of gym shorts she thought younger DD stole. nThe thing is they don't even wear the same size so why would the younger one steal them?! And she was giving me attitude when I told her she was going to my parents' house for the day to help my mom do some cleaning. She thought she could get away with it becuase we were in church & around her friends. So I took her phone away for the day.

joeannaanthony
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I feel you need to talk to her, there might be something bothering her.Talk to her softly but firmly and try and get to the bottom of this pretty soon as delay may cause more problems.She might get more hostile towards her younger brother.Being her mom,it is only you who can help her deal with the situation before it becomes a sore.i am sure she will confide in you.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Discipline her.  Its only gonna get worse unless you nip it in the bud now.  The teenage years have just begun.  14, 15 are usually the worst in my opinion.  Let her know boundries. 

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Honestly?  She's a 14 year old girl, a teenager.  She is not interested in spending a lot of time with a 9 year old kid.  Give her some privacy, treat her like the teenager (young adult) that she is.  Don't get in the way of her learning to be indpendent.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Disrespect needs to be dealt w/, but you do need to pick and choose your battles. She doesn't want to hang w/ her brother, fine, don't force it (unless you need her to watch him), but insist she treat him respectfully.

I get attitude from ds1 (14) as well. I've decided I can live w/ eye rolling, as long as the tone of voice is isn't totally disrespectful and what I've asked gets done.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM

This.  My middle DD will be 14 next week.  I also have a DD that is almost 16.  Like wakymom said I can deal with sighing and eyerolling but I draw the line with a disrespectful tone.  When a smart mouth starts in our house I will interupt and tell them this is their one and ONLY warning.  It is definitely partly the age but they still need to be respectful. 

Quoting wakymom:

Disrespect needs to be dealt w/, but you do need to pick and choose your battles. She doesn't want to hang w/ her brother, fine, don't force it (unless you need her to watch him), but insist she treat him respectfully.

I get attitude from ds1 (14) as well. I've decided I can live w/ eye rolling, as long as the tone of voice is isn't totally disrespectful and what I've asked gets done.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I hope you can turn it around soon.  Hugs

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Sounds like a teen!    Do not tolerate disrespect.  Let her know that her attitude has lots of power, either in her favor or not.  Her choice.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
This is true. They should not be made to hang out. Resentment will set in. When I was 9, my brother was 14. We never hung out. We had our own friends and interests.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Honestly?  She's a 14 year old girl, a teenager.  She is not interested in spending a lot of time with a 9 year old kid.  Give her some privacy, treat her like the teenager (young adult) that she is.  Don't get in the way of her learning to be indpendent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)