Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Have you raised your teens to think they

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Ida
  • 68 Replies

can do anything they are able to do or that certain things should be done by just male or female.

Mine have been raised to do what needs to be done no matter what it is.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM
They were raised they could do anything within their ability. My B C student wasn't going to be a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I don't believe in gender stereotypes myself so I've made an effort to not teach them to my kids.

KenneMaw
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM

We only have a daughter and we have never put gender limits on her.  I am a firm believer that boys and girls are equal and can do anything they want to do. 

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM

No gender roles taught here.

Our pedi is a woman.I and my daughter have been asked endlessly why we didn't encourage her to be an M.D. instead of the B.S.N. she is in her senior year earning.Simply because she likes being more a part of the on going care as opposed to mostly dx and rx and leave.Nothing wrong with being a doc just the type of care provided is different.I find it a little amusing ,it irritates her ,that people are so concerned with gender stereotypes she has been criticized for choosingnursing.She has made excellent grades ...damn let her be what ever she wants...I thought that was the point ,women get to choose.Vent over LOL Recently my friend that is her Godmother took her to a goodbye lunch and told her several times it's not too late to sign up for the MCATS. SMH

My sons have also been taught any degree and job they can earn is up to them.My only child that enjoys cooking is my 16 y.o. son ,my daughter likes creative deserts off of pintrest period.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM

No stereotyping in this house. My daughter in law went to college for construction engineering. Any house repairs she does my son doesn't know what end of the hammer to use <G> . DD is in a male dominated field as a sports broadcaster and loves it. Although when she is out with the guys after a game and gets hit on by someone from the other team,as they think she is one of the cheerleaders/dancers the guys are quick to step in and set the record straight.

My kids were always told do what makes you happy,if you don't like it it's not worth it as going to work everyday doing something you hate makes for a very unhappy life.

This has also held true for sports DD loves football and when she was in highschoolshe wanted to play on the varsity team(she can play well enough to play at that level). Coach told her you make it through a hitting practice you can play. One of the linebackers turned around and point blank said we won't hit her she's too small and will get hurt.  Coaches point was made, the team was worried about her getting hurt and if she was on the field playing and was taken down he didn't want a rumble happening. (It was an inner city highschool,that exceled at sports) The only thing we veto's was Lax as there was no girls team at her age level and she would of been checked into the boards way way too much and would up hurt in a big way.

lilia5
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I have raised my children to believe they are capable of doing anything and everything to the best of their own abilities.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM

That they can do whatever they are physically/mentally able to.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I tell my boys to do what they feel is right... if they want to do something that's typically for girls... I encourage them.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No gender roles here. All of my kids are raised knowing they can do whatever they are capable of doing to the best of their abilities.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Same here. I also teach that to my preschoolers.

Quoting lilia5:

I have raised my children to believe they are capable of doing anything and everything to the best of their own abilities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)