Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bisexual

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 33 Replies

If your 18 year old told you she was bisexual, how would you feel? Mine did. I feel confused.  Not sure if I should bring up the subject with her.  She is away at school now, but we will speak often, I'm sure.

I feel as though it shouldn't matter,but somehow I needed to ask.  She is quite smart academically. Very confindent; or so it has always seemed that way to me.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopesNDreams
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM
My SD announced that when she was 15 and returning from a mental facility. Due to the unusual circumstances, we had a bit of trouble taking it seriously.

Bisexuality is very trendy at my kids' high school these days. Girls adopt it because the guys find it hot. It would be hard to say how many ate making a true lifestyle decision or following their heart in terms of sexuality.
1kidmomajm
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM

You are lucky she told you. Many kids would be afraid to tell their parents. I remember when my parents best friends daughter, in college at the time, told her parents she was gay. They did care, and she was mad they weren't mad or didnt react to her news!  She is in her 30's happily legally married to a woman, has a job at ebay and just had a baby! Anyway, as for your daughter, lost of kids experiment. So it may or may not mean anything. I think all you can do is tell her to be careful, not get her heart broken, and let you know if she has any questions or confusion about who she likes. I dont think it would hurt if on an occasion you asked if she is seeing anybody or how such and such person is.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM
It's great she was able to tell you and was open. I don't think it would bother me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ceremony
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Thank you. I will ask her sometimes if she's seeing anyone.  I like that idea.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

My 14 year old came to me a cpl of months ago and told me she was bi.  I wasnt sure if she really was or if it was a phase or even if she was just testing how i would react.  My reaction was like she told me she bought a shirt.  It was just okay sweetie.  I decided to let her be the one to talk about it to me as she felt comfortable.  she did come back to me not that long ago and told me she doesnt think she really was so i told her she was young and there was no rush to put labels on herself but it didnt really matter to me one way or the other.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

My middle daughter (14) came out to us as gay fairly recently.  My first thought although I did not say it out loud was that it wasn't a suprise for me.  It's a non issue for us in that we are completely supportive of her, love her and will always be there for her.  She isn't "out" to anyone other than family right now.  Her choice not ours.  She isn't allowed to date yet, male or female.  She is taking things with small steps right now but granted she is much younger than your daughter.  And I totally agree with 1kidmomajm.

girlsclubmom
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

This seems to be a trend at my daughters school. i think it is confusing, these girls say they are Bi if they notice a pretty girl. Not to say there are not some Bi kids - but suddendly so many?  

trayseehalf
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Is it just something she's trying out or is it going to be a lifestyle for her? I'd support her, no matter what. You don't want to drive her away.

huntersmom1007
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM

My neice admitted she was Bisexual when she was 16.  She has had more girlfriends then boyfriends since then.  Her dad was the one she was scared to tell. 

jjchick75
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
3 moms liked this

My daughter came out as gay at 14. I wasn't surprised. She is now 17 and has never once swayed from that. I am bi-sexual and came out at 15. It wasn't a big deal to my parents at all and I am bi-sexual. When my daughter came out, I felt happy that she felt comfortable enough to do so.  My kids sexuality doesn't matter to me. As long as they are happy and they find someone who makes them happy, is good to them, loves them, and respects them, I really couldn't careless the gender of that person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)