National Cherry Turnovers Day
August 28 annually celebrates a food holiday;
it is National Cherry Turnovers Day.
Cherry turnovers are a sweet dessert that are a type of pastry made by placing a cherry filling on a piece of dough, folding the dough over, sealing it then either baking it or frying it.
FUN CHERRY FACTS:
Related to plums, peaches and nectarines, cherries are drupes or stone fruits.
Cherries were brought to North America in the 1600′s by the English colonists.
There are more than 1,000 varieties of cherries in the United States.
There are an average of 44 cherries in one pound.
More National Cherry Holidays:
- January 3rd is National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day.
- April 23rd is National Cherry Cheesecake Day.
- May 17th is National Cherry Cobbler Day.
- August 28th is National Cherry Turnover Day.
- September 24th is National Cherries Jubilee Day.
Following are a few, “tried and true” cherry turnover recipes for you to try and enjoy!http://nationaldaycalendar.com/
Do you like fruit turnovers? What is your favorite flavor?