Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Graduating early...

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

So DS had some issues last year but managed to pass everything with at least a C :)  He was VERY stressed and had counseling, meds, etc but pulled it off.

We are headed into is 10th grade year and he is a little ahead with the courses he had last year. We met with his teacher coordintor (we use a homeschool based Charter school) today and he asked about credits/ grades, what is required to graduate, etc. H and decided he wants to either skip his Senior year entirely, or at if he can't pul lthat off, to graduate mid-year.

On one hand, I 'm excited he has a goal. On the other I don't want a repeat ofthe pressure and stress of last year.

Would you let your child purposely load up on classes to graduate early?

This year he has:

• Language arts (Literatre & grammar)
  • Algebra 2 and about  4 weeks left from Geometry last year (shouldnt be hard as the first 2-3 weeks of Alg 2 are review so we will double up)
  • World History
  • Japanese
  • Art
  • Vocational Ed/Public Service
  • Driver's ed

The last three - Art, Driver's ed and Service are super easy.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

You can always let him try and then pull some of the courses if it doesn't work.

sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

That is not a difficult course load.  A normal course load is 7 classes per semester: math, science, english, social studies, PE/Health, and 2 electives.  Public/Community Service is NOT a class.  Schools do require a number of hours of community service to graduate, but they are done on the student's own time. 

MY definition of "loading up" on classes would be taking MORE than 7 credit classes per semester, or taking several additional classes every summer.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

My daughter entered her senior year just needing physics and a phys ed class to qualify to graduate.  Our district's  graduation requirement far exceed the minimum requirements to get into our state colleges.  Her guidance councelor asked her I'd she wanted to graduate early, but my daughter declined.  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Here, the standard is 5 or 6 courses. It is rare fo rthe kids to take 7 at a time.

Also, the service hours ARE a class, they are considered VOCATIONAL EDUCATION and go along with a workbook about choosing careers, college prep, job interview skills and more.   They are ABOVE and BEYOND what is required.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

That is not a difficult course load.  A normal course load is 7 classes per semester: math, science, english, social studies, PE/Health, and 2 electives.  Public/Community Service is NOT a class.  Schools do require a number of hours of community service to graduate, but they are done on the student's own time. 

MY definition of "loading up" on classes would be taking MORE than 7 credit classes per semester, or taking several additional classes every summer.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:  Here, the standard is 5 or 6 courses. It is rare fo rthe kids to take 7 at a time.

Here, 99% of the kids are college bound.  They take 7 classes, every year, and take the most challenging classes they can.  Graduating early does not benefit a college bound student.

Rkbemti
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM

My daughter opted to take some college classes while still in high school and the school picks up the tab!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM

That schedule is par for the course for a trimester here, so I wouldn't consider it to be overload.  If your son will be stressed with that schedule, he may not be prepared for a 4 yr college.  That said, I encouraged my son to NOT graduate early.   He could have graduated his junior year, but I didn't want him to rush into college, I wanted him to experience senior year and take some more college credit courses.    Colleges prefer that students take core classes their senior year, as opposed to fluff classes.

jojo_star
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM
If that was what they wanted, yes, but my kids all plan to participate in the dual graduation program our high school has, when they graduate high school they will simultaneously graduate with an associates of general studies. They couldn't do that and graduate early.
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:09 AM
We have 7 minimum and many take 7 1/2 or 8 depending on AP's. Many take 8 all 4 years every semester. If you take 7 you only graduate with 2 credits more than you need to graduate in this state.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Here, the standard is 5 or 6 courses. It is rare fo rthe kids to take 7 at a time.

Also, the service hours ARE a class, they are considered VOCATIONAL EDUCATION and go along with a workbook about choosing careers, college prep, job interview skills and more.   They are ABOVE and BEYOND what is required.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I would, I hope it all works out.   :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)