Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What to do with sick 8yr old when having to work?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 24 Replies

My 8 year old daughter and I recently moved in with my fiance of 4 years.  We moved about 45 minutes away and are just getting adjusted.  Monday was the start of scholl, which after much nervious jitters, she did well, made friends and is loving it.  However, she gets into these nervous moods where she will fake a stomach ache, a headache, or that she bumped her elbow, as she trys to hide her emotions.  She is very shy and always has been.

I have been at my job for 15 years so have not considered changing careers.  But what is hard, I am easily an hour and 15 minutes away from home now.  My fiance runs his own business but can not be replied on to pick her up, as he runs a FedEx delivery route and is counted on.  He would however if he could.

So my question, now that Ive given some background is, what do I do when I get a call from the nurses office, only at 9:30am saying she is sick and wanting to go home?  I can not leave work as I am too very replied upon.  Especially a day like today where I was off last Friday and Monday for her first day of school.  I have no family in the area and have not met anyone yet. 

So what do I do?  Tell her to tought it out despite what ever she is feeling?  What is she really is sick, or the day where she truly is?  I can not just alawyas leave work as my job is in office work and am too relied on.  8 years old is too young to stay at home alone I know.

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girlsclubmom
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

When she is really sick (fever ect.. ) you need to leave work. Either that or hire someone who can go and get her. Maybe you can find a lady or student who can be on call for times like this.

TCain0001
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

If she's really sick (throwing up, fever, etc), then either you need to go get her, or maybe find a trustworthy neighbor or friend to go get her until you get home.  If she's that shy, however, more like than not she's faking it, and I'd have her try to tough it out.  My kids are 20, 17, and 14 (the one graduates this year, the other's just starting high school) already know the routine--tough it out unless you're puking or shitting your pants.

girlsclubmom
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM

How fair is that to the other kids that your sick kids were infecting while you made them "tough it out".

School is not a place for sick kids.

Quoting TCain0001:

If she's really sick (throwing up, fever, etc), then either you need to go get her, or maybe find a trustworthy neighbor or friend to go get her until you get home.  If she's that shy, however, more like than not she's faking it, and I'd have her try to tough it out.  My kids are 20, 17, and 14 (the one graduates this year, the other's just starting high school) already know the routine--tough it out unless you're puking or shitting your pants.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM

First, I would get her into counseling to help with her anxiety so that this is only a temporary problem. As the others said, if she truly is sick she has to be picked up. Find a babysitter to use if it's impossible for either of you to leave work. If she doesn't have a fever she should stay at school. If faking illness works and gets her out of school, she'll just keep doing it.

disastermind
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I would say, if she doesn't have a fever or is throwing up then she needs to stay in school. Talk to the nurse, let her know how she is sometimes and tell her she can sit in the nurses office for a bit but that she has to go back to class.

I'd also talk to her doctor about why she does this sometimes.

lagirl400
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutly I would leave work when she truly is sick.  That is part of the dilema.  Ive only so much time and need to use them for when she really needs to be home, not when she is fearful of something in school, or feeling she misses me (which is often the case).

disastermind
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Maybe the nurse would allow her to call you if she's feeling this way. Then you could talk her through it. I would definitely let her doctor know. She may need something to help with anxiety, even if it's just therapy.

Quoting lagirl400:

Absolutly I would leave work when she truly is sick.  That is part of the dilema.  Ive only so much time and need to use them for when she really needs to be home, not when she is fearful of something in school, or feeling she misses me (which is often the case).

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM
You need to find backups when you cannot go get her. If she is not sick, I would be pissed if she is faking it. Nip that in the bud. If this is mental get her counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I would let her know you will only leave work if she is running a fever or throwing up since it seems to be a habit and a way of getting attention.

She needs to learn early that she can't get out of an uncomfortable by getting sick.

herheather79
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I agree with the others.  I always tell my kids you are going to school unless you are throwing up or have a fever over 99.  I think sometimes they just think if they can call we'll come get them and that's not the case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)