Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheerleading and periods

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 26 Replies

My oldest daughter started cheerleading this is her first year, she is a freshman in HS. She hasn't had this problem come up yet but she has kept asking me this question. She asked me what is she suppose to do when she gets her period (she has had a regular period for almost 4 years now) and has to do her cheerleading? She uses pads and hates tampons so I didn't really know what to tell her. I thought if I came on here and asked this question that perhaps I could get some answers so I can answer her question. I never did any of this growing up, I was always playing with my Barbie's and dolls and other girl stuff growing up. She isn't on her period now but she is two weeks away from it so I want to comfort her and let her know what she should do.

Michelle
Mom to 8
Emily, Jordan, Sara, Jason, Aiden, Chloe, Nick and Cody 

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I would say she needs to learn that tampons are fine. Too many girls today have tampon fear. We all used them and didn't think twice 30+ years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't cheer with pads they could leak not to mention the odor she needs to use tampons or she might get embarrassed

momtomy7kids
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I told her that she could use tampons for cheerleading then change back to pads after she's done. That way she doesn't have to worry about leaking while she is cheerleading. She told me though that she hates tampons and don't know how to put one in and is scared about doing it. 

I'm a pad user myself so it's hard to introduce her to tampons and she told me she doesn't want to use tampons already. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Michelle
Mom to 8

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Is there another adult female that is a friend or family member that does use tampons that can give advice on proper use?   My ODD uses tampons (my YDD goes back and forth between tampons and pads) and after a little coaching and encouragement she says she would never want to go back to just wearing pads.  She can also ask friends her own age what brands/types they use.  Has she thought of talking with her cheer coach/sponsor about it?

newstepmom61811
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

They do have teen tampons on the market, smaller, more slender for a better fit for teens...basically more comfortable, less risk of any trauma...my 13 year old likes those when she plays volleyball...good coverage and discrete...

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My 19 yo uses them to swim. Otherwise she uses pads. If inserted high up you don't feel them. If they are lower and inserted wrong, you feel it.

Quoting newstepmom61811:

They do have teen tampons on the market, smaller, more slender for a better fit for teens...basically more comfortable, less risk of any trauma...my 13 year old likes those when she plays volleyball...good coverage and discrete...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

ask the cheer coach, or the school nurse. either lady should have suggestions

herheather79
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I speak from experience here.  I was a cheerleader in High School and had the same problem hated tampons.  I just made sure I had a pad that was able to hold enough while cheering and truthfully the underpants they give you for under your uniform actually helped alot with holding it in place and not letting it slide around.  So from experince it's ok.  I promise.  She will come around one day and realize tampons aren't that bad.

momtomy7kids
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

She has asked me if she could use overnight pads while cheerleading. I told her that sounds like it might work fine.

Michelle
Mom to 8

herheather79
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Try that and see how she does, it may work for her.  Just make sure she puts a clean one on before going out on the floor for games and just make sure you keep her underpants clean. 

Quoting momtomy7kids:

She has asked me if she could use overnight pads while cheerleading. I told her that sounds like it might work fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)