Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Tell your kids you love them everytime they leave the house!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

This could be any one of our kids. Let your teen know that you love them. Hug them and kiss them often. And don't let them leave without telling them that you love them, and NEVER let anger leave. Regret always comes back.   My brother was the bus driver. He seen it unfold, and is carrying alot of guilt eventhough there was nothing he could do. It was a bus for handicapp students, and he was stopped picking up a student and she just drove straight under the bus.

Ashville High School senior killed in wreck with school bus

Posted: Aug 30, 2013 8:49 AM CDT Updated: Aug 30, 2013 6:00 PM CDT

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -

The Ashville community is mourning the death of a high school senior killed in a wreck with a school bus on Friday morning.

St. Clair County Coroner Dennis Russell identified the victim as Ashley Cartier, 17, a student at Ashville High School. Cartier was also a member of the dance team. Her uniform was tucked into the truck of her car in preparation for Ashville's first football game of the season.

The crash happened at 6:54 a.m. at mile marker 8 on Highway 23, an area between Springville and Ashville, according to Ashville Police Chief Dennis Matthews.

The school bus had stopped to pick up the first rider when Cartier's car crashed into the back of the bus and went underneath. She was driving a 2001 Kia Sophia. Police say Cartier died at the scene.

At this time, authorities say there is no evidence that Ashley was texting or talking on the phone.

The school bus driver and other student were not injured. Police officers and a representative from the St. Clair County Coroner's Office went to Cartier's home to notify her parents.

Ashville's principal, Patti Johnson, said Ashley was an outstanding student. She said Ashley's death is tragic for the entire community.

"I guess when I think about Ashley, I think of her laugh. Very sweet young lady. A friend to everyone. She was full of life," Johnson said.

"In a small school this size, it's a huge loss. We all know each other. All the kids know each other. Everyone knows Ashley," the principal added.

Several students checked out of school after hearing the news. Those who stayed behind met with grief counselors, many of them writing messages to Ashley to help express their grief.

Assistant principal Jeff Hardy said the pep rally for tonight's game was cancelled, but the football game against Springville High School is still on. The school will hold a moment of silence and a balloon release in Ashley's honor.

St. Clair County School Superintendent Jenny Seals released the following statement in response to Ashley's death:

Today in St. Clair County our hearts are broken over the loss of one of our students.  Our administrators, counselors, faculty and local youth pastors have combined efforts to offer support to our students.  The students have been encouraged to talk to each other, write their thoughts and write letters to Ashley's family.  We are here for students and the family as we continue to support them and lift them up in our prayers.  Ashley was a senior at Ashville High School and a member of the dance team.  She will be missed by her friends and the faculty of Ashville High School.

Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

So sad, I am sorry.

02nana07
by Ida on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

im sorryfor everyone involved and will be praying for them

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

How tragic.    Your poor brother... what a horrible thing to witness!

disastermind
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, how sad.

I do always make sure to tell my kids and actually anyone from my family that I love them before leaving or hanging up the phone.

SAMI_JO
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM

That is a family ritual that we have always had. Tell them that you love them: first thing in the morning, everytime they walk away from you, everytime someone leaves, before we hang up the phone, and before we go to sleep at night. After we do our night prayers (we use 3 way calling to get everybody connected) it sounds like the walton's tv show, everybody telling each one "good nite and love you ______". Until everyone has been told that they love them and to have a good nite. First thing in the morning after meds we all have to call and check on Mom and Dad, make sure that they are ok, and that we are ok, and that we love them. I could safely say that I say "I love you" atleast 100 times everyday to my family. And we say it alot, just sitting around, because we want to.

You have to make sure that all your family knows that you love them, because they can be taken away in the blink of an eye.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
How sad and tragic. Prayers for everyone involved.
SAMI_JO
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Thank you!

mamavalor
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Such a sad story to hear.  Prayers for your brother and her family.  So many teenagers get into car accidents per year that I don't know if I want my DDs to be driving when they get their licenses.  I think we over estimate teenagers driving skills and under estimate their maturity.

My family and I tell each other "I love you" everyday and give hugs whenever possible, whether we are at home or departing for school or work or activity or just a friend's house.  Life is so precious and fatal accidents can happen in a blink of an eye.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

So tragic, very sad.

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

very ,very sad.

always have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)