Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How you doing? (freshman in college)

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

Well its been 5 days only called with 1 melt down calmed her down trying not to call her  or text her much.

How do you cope with the wondering if she is up and out to class? And the worry did she eat she dont

eat meat so hard few choices.  Iam trying to keep busy not thing about her.  

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Mine is a sophomore. I guess I am not a worrier much. Never worried about food. Mine eats everything. I don't text much either and right now her phone is broken. Mailing her an old phone overnight today.
It does get easier. Mine has been at school for 3 weeks. I have not ask about classes since the first week. I will probably ask about classes again when she gets her phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

She has been gone since Sunday, so it has only been a few days.  We have text a few times, and emailed. 

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

My last one is a freshman 1400 miles away.  And she's the ONLY one that wasn't about to jump out of her skin to enjoy the independence of being away from home.

She's called a few times - but she's doing well.  I actually hear more about how she's doing through her sisters (older) who snapchat with her.

mt0130
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

My son is a sophomore this year, so I was in your shoes last year. I worried most about if he was safe or not, coming from a small town and going to a large university 5 hours away, not knowing anything about the area. We text more than call and I make sure that I text him "good morning" and "good night" every day, so usually I will get a response and know he is okay. You can't worry about if she is getting to class or not, that is part of being in college-learning the responsibility to get yourself where you need to be at the right times. When I went to college there were not many food choices but today most colleges have a pretty wide selection of foods because there are vegetarians everywhere. At my son's school there is always pasta, vegetables, salads, etc. because there are a lot of kids from other countries who don't eat meat. She will find something she can eat. The worrying will go away for the most part the longer she is there and the more comfortable she gets with her surroundings, the more comfortable you will be. I still worry about his safety, but not to the point I did last year that if I didn't hear from him in a few days I would leave a message on his phone, email him, and text him. The first month that they are away is probably the hardest on you, because you were so used to seeing them every day and now you don't even know when you will talk to them. If you haven't already, have your daughter send you her schedule so that you know when she is in class and when she isn't, that way you know when you can call or text her. The other thing is ask if she has the time to talk when you do call, because we have no idea how much work they have due when, so it is hard to realize that they are busy and don't have as much time for us anymore. My biggest problem was backing off when my son would tell me he had a paper due in a few days and has been procrastinating starting it, I had to keep telling myself it is on him to get it done, and not bring it up again until after it was due and just ask how the paper went.! Good luck, and keep busy!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM

mine is texting me a couple times a day. I think she feels Im the only one as excited/nervous as she is.  So she will text me with the excitement/concerns so she can look calm and collected in front of her friends....LOL.

But dang the stories Im getting.... I was actually going to make a post about it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Mine text once a week, lol. Unless she wants something. Her phone is broken so no contact till she gets a new one.

Quoting sahlady:

mine is texting me a couple times a day. I think she feels Im the only one as excited/nervous as she is.  So she will text me with the excitement/concerns so she can look calm and collected in front of her friends....LOL.

But dang the stories Im getting.... I was actually going to make a post about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I have a sophomore away at school.  I never worried so much.  I knew that I did a good job to get her to school, but now it was on her. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I would be worried, too. lol.   I'm a worrier by nature.    Mine lives at home and attends a local University,

karenb941
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I am really struggling with the same issue...my son is 5 hours away at school.  he hasn't been very good about keeping in touch and I am constantly worried and anxious. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

I have a sophomore away at school.  I never worried so much.  I knew that I did a good job to get her to school, but now it was on her. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)