Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Worry About Your Kids' Safety At School?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 10 Replies

Fatal Stabbing at Houston School Puts Moms Everywhere on Edge as New Year Begins (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

police tapeSchool has just barely started and we already have another terrifying incident of school violence. A 17-year-old student was killed and three other students injured in a stabbing incident at a Houston-area high school. Police believe that shortly after 7 a.m., a fight broke out in the cafeteria of Spring Hill High School in North Houston. The fight escalated, resulting in the four casualties. Two of the students suffered minor injuries while the third was airlifted to a Houston hospital and is in surgery. Police are not saying what was used in the stabbings, calling it only a "cutting instrument." The student who was killed has been identified by his family as Joshua Broussard.

While witnesses and the community have suggested the fight and stabbings were gang-related, officials are not ready to confirm that. Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia says, "We have three persons of interest our investigators are interviewing at the moment. There has been some information that this may have been gang-related, but it's a very dynamic scene and investigators are collecting information. We'll work through that as we get it."

It's a comfort to know that the Spring Independent School District's own police department responded to the incident within 60 seconds. But ... hold on, this is a district with its own police department? Oh wow. It just makes me want to cry that a school district would need that. What's wrong with us?

While a lot of us worry about too much testing and not enough physical activity, other parents have to worry about whether their kids will survive the day. It's an embarrassment that a lot of our schools can't seem to educate our kids because they can't even keep our kids safe enough to learn something.

The reasons behind this are complex, and we can't just blame it all on schools. Many of these incidents happen in communities that are already suffering from violence and lack of resources. And then we scoop up the kids, shove them into a holding pen, and leave a handful of dedicated (or, quite often, burned out) adults to manage. Is that really the best we can do?

I don't claim to have the answers. Like I said, school violence is a complex problem. But as we begin a new school year, I hate to think that something like this is going to happen again ... and again. We know it will.

Video Here

Do you worry about your kids' safety at school?

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM

No, not really.  Bad things can happen anywhere, but that does not mean we stop living.  I tell them I love them each time as they leave the house. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Mine are in college. You can't live in fear at the small chance of this happening. Just like the small chance of someone going postal the the office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Fighting does happen often at my son's school, but he's chosen to stay away from those kinds of people, so I am not worried.
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I try not to. I know it is way too easy for someone to come in the front door of his his high school at any time. His elementary school was the safest school. You had to go through the office first. No other doors opened after students were in.

But when they get older, there are way to many ways to get in the morning. The school is three story's high with one resource officer and the halls are like a spider .... Classrooms are down corridors and each floor has a common area like the cafeteria, library, theatre ....It would take forever to get to an offender should he/she get to even just the second floor. :-/.

However, he has to go to school, I can't call every two hrs the check on him. I kind of just have to trust there is a plan in place that I don't know about.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I worry about my kids' safety everywhere they go!   They attended a HS that was once the scene of a school shooting, the memories are still vivid for me, though they were so young they barely remember..... I take all threats seriously, as does the school.       Anything can happen at any time.  There are just no guarantees in life.   We can't let fear rule us, so we keep on keeping on and hope & pray for the best.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

A tiny part of me does, since at the beginning of last school year a boy in my son's grade whipped out a gun in class and took a few shots at the ceiling. Fortunately the teacher tackled him and took the gun. You know that these things can happen anywhere, but that made it hit home for me that it really can happen at my kids' schools even though we live in a nice, low-crime suburban area.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

No. I know the school has taken all the precautions it can. I refuse to worry about the small possibility that something MIGHT happen.

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Mine are in college. You can't live in fear at the small chance of this happening. Just like the small chance of someone going postal the the office.

Exactly.Something could happen while buying tickets to the movies.

Earlier this summer my sister's MIL was almost mugged walking out of a very high end grocery store in the middle of the day in a crowded parking lot.She was startled and thought the guy was asking for change so she responded slowly but a large ...yay...man had just parked and heard the thug  ,hit 911 while shouting at the thug.

It can be everywhere...you can't live in fear .

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM

at high school.... no I really never worried at all about their safty. 

well, any more than I did at any other place.  They are more likely to get hurt driving to and from school than in some sort of violent act at school.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I agree with you.

I also live in a relatively safe metro area. I might feel differently if I lived in the bad side of town in a more dangerous metro area. In that case, I would do what I could to leave that area or at least get my child in a safer school.

Quoting wakymom:

No. I know the school has taken all the precautions it can. I refuse to worry about the small possibility that something MIGHT happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)