Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do your kids have a college preference yet?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 34 Replies

Are your kids looking at colleges already?

Are they still in the beginning stages or do they know where they want to go?

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Both are in college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdychick
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Our oldest (17) is not going to college. He had decied a long time ago that he is joing the Marines. We have all talked to the recurter several times and he goes to sign papers in about a month. Our other 2 boys have no clue yet lol but they have a while (15 and 14) 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

My 15 year old has a few on his radar, we are attending a few college fairs this fall and then going to open houses at colleges this year.  Dd is away at school, she is a sophomore.

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Onr oldest knew where he wanted to go always ,never wavered and attended his only choice.We insisted he apply to two others to be safe.

My daughter thought she knew where she wanted to go till she was scouted for womens golf teams.Changed everything ,but it worked out very well.

My junior has his top three picked out .Because of family both immediate and extended he has been on all three campuses multiple times ,so I think he is good.

My sophmore current first choice is one we have never been to .Mizzou ,we will visit it sometime next year.He has a couple of other choices he has been to.He is also beginning to think about a couple of colleges in NYC..

They both are considering a university in our city .It is excellent and would be fantastic if they were admitted but our reservations concern we want them to go away to school .Even a couple of hours away.We think it helps them become more independent and stand on their own...even living in the dorm at this school we would be only 20 minute drive during heavy traffic .

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Mine has been talking about CalTech for the past year. But his aversion to algebra homework will play against him unless he straightens up very quickly.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

My dd just started community college she is in the transfer program and will attend a different college after 2 years. She was told she has to apply to at least 6 colleges. She has a first and second choice in mind already but still has time to change her mind if she wants to.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I don't think he's started thinking that far ahead yet. I'm having trouble getting it through to him that freshman yr grades affect his overall GPA, which is looked at by colleges. . .

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Overall GPA and Junior year count a lot more. Digging a large hole freshman year hurts for sure.

Quoting wakymom:

I don't think he's started thinking that far ahead yet. I'm having trouble getting it through to him that freshman yr grades affect his overall GPA, which is looked at by colleges. . .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobear110
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My daughter just started her junior year. She has known for awhile that she wants to be a Nurse Practitioner. After volunteering this summer at one of the local hospitals she has decided that while she would like to still be an NP she would like to do it as an officer in the Navy.

So the long , hard , road to Annapolis is the one we are headed down!! 

Very Proud of her but I don't think they can prescribe me enough medication to cope with my baby in the military in this world. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

My son is only in 8th grade, but I believe he wants to go to a local college (either University of MN or University of WI) for his bachelor degree and then go to IIT in Chicago for his masters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)