Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

mandatory sports meetings.

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 10 Replies

I ok with mandatory parent meetings for sports.  I understand the necessity of them, the information must get disseminated properly and forms need to be signed.  Im used to it, it is just one of those annoying things that you accept.

BUT.....

a mandatory pot luck on a saturday night?! Come on, we have better things to do with our Saturday night go to a sports meeting.  Nice they they are trying to create a social life for the parents but I dont need someone else creating a social life for me... I have one!  I find this very intrusive.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

What??   You have a life outside of school athletics, PTA, and Boosters?   How Dare you even try... LOL

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Bump
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Lol...

Quoting boys2men2soon:

What??   You have a life outside of school athletics, PTA, and Boosters?   How Dare you even try... LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Sigh, reminds me of the mandatory "fun" volleyball and soccer team slumber party, bowling team "bonding" events. I always thought making mandatory was a bit over the top
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

laughing 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Lol...

Quoting boys2men2soon:

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Sigh, reminds me of the mandatory "fun" volleyball and soccer team slumber party, bowling team "bonding" events. I always thought making mandatory was a bit over the top

so agree !

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Oh, I would not be happy either!!!

aliryker
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Lovely, as a wife of a high school football coach, they are damned if they do damned if they don't. Yes it provides a social atmosphere for the kids and the parents as well as the coaches. Did u ever stop to think what being a coach involves? My husband loves kids and loves football, he loves teaching the comraderie football brings. But he coaches 5 to 6 nights a week, than game days, than all the crap that comes with COACHING teenage boys. If I were you I would accept these "mandatory" occasional dinners and value them for what they are, a chance for you to get to know the men who are helping to shape YOUR young man, and to maybe say a quick thanks for the selfless acts they commit. (My husband isn't a paid coach, the district can't afford it). I'm sorry I came off as a bit over zealous, but we put alot of our life on hold to make these extra school experiences, enjoyable & memorable for the kids.
mjande4
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

This. Wow!  Maybe the OP didn't mean to come across as an ungrateful parent, but she did. Your kids are only in high school 4 years.  For goodness sakes embrace that time and those activities.

Quoting aliryker:

Lovely, as a wife of a high school football coach, they are damned if they do damned if they don't. Yes it provides a social atmosphere for the kids and the parents as well as the coaches. Did u ever stop to think what being a coach involves? My husband loves kids and loves football, he loves teaching the comraderie football brings. But he coaches 5 to 6 nights a week, than game days, than all the crap that comes with COACHING teenage boys. If I were you I would accept these "mandatory" occasional dinners and value them for what they are, a chance for you to get to know the men who are helping to shape YOUR young man, and to maybe say a quick thanks for the selfless acts they commit. (My husband isn't a paid coach, the district can't afford it)

alik1983
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I can relate to how you and your husband feel.  My father, too, was an EXCELLENT coach who only thought about the kids and never gave a thought to all the time he spent.  My mom was a dedicated coach's wife and never complained about all the time he spent away from home and all the time she spent helping him for many, many years even after my brother was aged out.  BUT, please remember that practices are already mandatory - something like a potluck shouldn't be.  I can, maybe, understand if the team members are required to attend (with proper notice so parents don't have to rearrange schedules/plans) but, it is not fair to force parents to attend.

My daughter's "coach" is an absolute jerk and is all about food every day - during after-school practices, weekend practices, and after every match.  We're talking about full-on barbequing, too.  That went on for her first year and then it became ridiculously expensive to feed people every weekend.  Have you ever considered the cost to attend potlucks?  Some families may simply not be able to afford to participate.  We also are asked for a monetary, mandatory "donation" every year that we have no clue what the coach does with.  Her first year, we spent nearly $1,000 to purchase her own equipment since the school has none; paid the school's athletic fee of $200; and, paid his "donation" of $100.  Yet, he can't be bothered with the kids who need help (he's admitted he doesn't know how to coach).  Why, then, should I be forced to socialize with him when he doesn't care about the kids, only his ego and his stomach.  Your husband, as did my father, choose to coach because they love the kids - I think that is just AWESOME!!!  This is why I have such a difficult time calling him "coach."  In addition, it's always the same people who bring the food and the same ones that don't yet feel no shame to eat AND take home leftovers!  I, too, agree that parent meetings should be mandatory, but not socializing.

First year he said to me in front of other kids/parents, "Something is wrong with her - I never seen anyone shoot as bad as her."  Second year he said, "She's not good enough; I don't have time to coach her."  So, we sought outside private coaching for her - she has improved by 40 points in just 10 months (during the off season) which has pissed him off even more because clearly it's not due to him.  That's a "coach"?  And that's someone you expect me to socialize with and thank him?!  Not going to happen.  BTW - he now has a boy shooter who has yet to even reach my daughter's worst score!

And, yes, we do see her private coaches outside of practice/matches; but, that's because we choose to as we enjoy their company and are extremely greatful for how much they've taught/helped her.  So, yes, I do take the time to thank those that deserve it.  I wish there were more coaches like my dad, your husband, and the private ones my daughter has now; but, majority aren't and so please understand that if parents don't want to socialize with the coaches, we shouldn't be forced to.

Quoting aliryker:

Lovely, as a wife of a high school football coach, they are damned if they do damned if they don't. Yes it provides a social atmosphere for the kids and the parents as well as the coaches. Did u ever stop to think what being a coach involves? My husband loves kids and loves football, he loves teaching the comraderie football brings. But he coaches 5 to 6 nights a week, than game days, than all the crap that comes with COACHING teenage boys. If I were you I would accept these "mandatory" occasional dinners and value them for what they are, a chance for you to get to know the men who are helping to shape YOUR young man, and to maybe say a quick thanks for the selfless acts they commit. (My husband isn't a paid coach, the district can't afford it). I'm sorry I came off as a bit over zealous, but we put alot of our life on hold to make these extra school experiences, enjoyable & memorable for the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)