Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teens

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hi tell me if I over reacted with the punishment for my 14 year old son. In July my son got upset with is step sister and called her a B**** because she kept picking with him while he was playing his video game and she was on the phone I was so upset with him for that now I've been divorce from his father since 2010 and he's remarried however my stepdaughter lives with her mother and still come visits and spends the night with us and don't want any relationship with her second step family. Make a long story short ..lol too late right ! I took away his brand new iPad he bought and never got to open and his PlayStation and sent them out of the house till first report card which is October. Was I too harsh
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
4 moms liked this

If I understand the situation your SD was picking on your son and he got punished for calling her a name?  First both kids should have been punished not just your son.  Secondly I believe in punishment fitting the crime, and I'm all for taking things away however his report card has nothing to do with him disrespecting his sister, why make him wait until the report card comes? Are you only going to give him his stuff back if he makes certain grades?  I personally would have taken it away for a week and made him apologize to his sister.  But like I said in the beginning I would have also punished both of them.

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Yes.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

You're way over the top.  They're teens, I would have let them work it out without me.  Not even worth working up a sweat.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Yes way over the top. You need to pick your battles and if calling his sister a name results in all this what happens when he breaks your curfew or has bad grades. You are going to have a lot harder battles and obstacles in the next few yrs naming calling is small peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Also teens are teens and naming calling while not appreciate or very nice is part of what they do. Just go to local highschool and listen to them and what they call their friends. Small peanuts in my mind,kids argue and fight thats part of growing up in a family not everyone gets along all the time. I would of called the battle quits at the time and had him put away the game and her get off the phone. Both were at fault on this one

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Yes, too harsh.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Yes.    The punishment does not fit the offense.   It seems way too harsh for calling his sister a name, let alone while she was provoking him.     I would have taken his playstation and her phone for a couple of days, at most.

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

yes ,I agree with others ,his sister was an instigator and deserves consequences also if he received them.Also the length of the punishment is way over the top.Sometimes when a consequence is too long and/or harsh the point is completely lost.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. If you were stressed about other things I can see how this happened, we've all done it. I would just bring both kids in, set them down and explain while their behavior was still unacceptable in the house the punishment may not fit the crime this time and readjust

Quoting drfink:

yes ,I agree with others ,his sister was an instigator and deserves consequences also if he received them.Also the length of the punishment is way over the top.Sometimes when a consequence is too long and/or harsh the point is completely lost.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:21 AM

yep

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM

and I just re-read this.  This happened in July???? and he's punished until October????  Yep way over the top.  Sometimes the more severe a punishment the more teens will act out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)