Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

A slippery slope

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 16 Replies

A friend of my  dd has her school permit and gave a ride from school to a few girls to a sports practice (it wasn't a school practice, it was a club team). She parked in another school parking lot and the girls walked over.  I looked up on line the law and it doesn't permit a teen to do this and when I called the police station the dispatcher said the same but said she would talk to an officer and call us back. She called back and said it's a grey area that it's hard to enforce. We told our dd to stay out of any vehicle unless she has our permission. We just feel it's a slippery slope that if we allow this, she will push the envelope further. This girl has also given rides to friends homes which she isn't suppose to do and a group of girls at this age in a car, several things to think of... We don't want to involve anyone else riding or tell the principal.  The girl that has her school permit won't be 15 till November and the girls riding aren't even 15 yet (one is still 13). What would you have done? This is what our state says:

Can a student transport passengers when driving on an MSL?

The statute that governs the MSL does not authorize or prohibit passengers. The DOT's position is that passengers are allowed only if they enter the vehicle at the licensee's home and exit the vehicle at the same destination as the driver. No stops along the way to pickup or discharge passengers

Where can the student drive?

Over the most direct and accessible route between the licensee's residence and school(s) of enrollment and between schools of enrollment for the purposes of attending duly scheduled courses of instruction, and to and from extracurricular activities within the school district. The student may also drive to a service station for the purpose of refueling so long as the service station is on the most direct and accessible route or is the closest service station to the most direct and accessible route.

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JC2223
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have set the rules for my DD that she isn't to go in anyone's car without my permission and expect her to follow them. If she didn't, she would receive a consequence at home.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Our states does not allow permits till 15 1/2. You have to drive with parents till at least age 16. Then you can have one teen in the car for first 9 months you have your license. We go by the law. Many parents allow kids to drive with more than one teen in the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Your law (in your state) makes more sense than ours.     Ours doesn't allow anyone with a permit to drive without a parents or adult over the age of 21.   Once licensed, at age 16, the first 6 months the student can only transport siblings living in the same home, the following six months they can have no more than three passengers under the age of 20.       We followed the law.     My issue is because the students can't drive their friends to school or extra curriculars, the roads are loaded with new drivers.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Your law (in your state) makes more sense than ours.     Ours doesn't allow anyone with a permit to drive without a parents or adult over the age of 21.   Once licensed, at age 16, the first 6 months the student can only transport siblings living in the same home, the following six months they can have no more than three passengers under the age of 20.       We followed the law.     My issue is because the students can't drive their friends to school or extra curriculars, the roads are loaded with new drivers.

Yes, your law is the same as ours for a permit. This is having to do with a school permit. They don't have to have anyone over 21 when they have a school permit.  Makes it open to abuse/all bets off, but what do you do? Give them an inch, they will take a mile.  We just told her to stay out of anyones car unless you have permission from us.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Yes, your law is the same as ours for a permit. This is having to do with a school permit. They don't have to have anyone over 21 when they have a school permit.  Makes it open to abuse/all bets off, but what do you do? Give them an inch, they will take a mile.  We just told her to stay out of anyones car unless you have permission from us.

What is a school permit???

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess I am confused. I thought permits always required an adult driver in the car. Licenses were when you can drive alone.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat4458
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

If you live more than a mile away from the attending school a child 14 yrs of age that has had their permit for 6 months can drive back & forth to school. It opens a 'can of worms'because there is more than that going on. 

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I guess I am confused. I thought permits always required an adult driver in the car. Licenses were when you can drive alone.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Yes, I wish it was that way...If you live more than a mile away from the attending school a child 14 yrs of age that has had their permit for 6 months can drive back & forth to school. It opens a 'can of worms'because there is more than that going on. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM
In my opinion 14 or even 15 is too young to drive even with parents. Glad 15 1/2 is the youngest you can get a permit.

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting cat4458:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Yes, I wish it was that way...If you live more than a mile away from the attending school a child 14 yrs of age that has had their permit for 6 months can drive back & forth to school. It opens a 'can of worms'because there is more than that going on. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I am glad our state does not allow something like this. 

However, in this case, your concern should not be what OTHER kids do.  That is not your business.  If the parents of the other kids don't care if their kids violate the law, or are killed, that is up to them.  All you can do is tell your child what YOUR rule is, and make crystal clear what the punishment will be if she disobeys.  Just because the law allows something, if *I* think it is stupid or dangerous, I would not allow my kids to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN